02 or Orange

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by perry245, Jul 2, 2010.

1. perry245 macrumors member

Hi so I am goi g to get the new iPhone but not sure who to go with, what do u all think I should go with and why.

Any help would be good.

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I would say Orange. I have 2x 3GS one on each network and the Orange one always has better signal or has 3G when O2 only has edge. When my O2 contract runs out i'll have both on Orange rather.

3. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

I've heard overall Orange have better 3G coverage but both are quite good. The tariffs are pretty much the same although O2 give you 500mb of data vs Oranges 750mb data limit. Also, you could factor in that O2 do deals like priority tickets to the O2 arena whilst Orange offers Orange Wednesdays and Magic Numbers. I've been on both networks, currently on Orange and when I check my balance online I've found both websites to be pretty p*** poor. Also, I've heard if you are a gold member on O2 you can upgrade your phone up to 6 months early, although I'm not sure if that is true, I think it costs extra as well. I'm certain however you are allowed up to upgrade your phone from 3 months before your contract ends on Orange. I hope this helps you make your choice.

4. OJcamden macrumors newbie

Same position

I'm in the same position, currently have a 3G iPhone on O2. Am tempted to make the switch to Orange as it works out about the same cost but with Orange you get the extra 250MB. Both networks are pretty similar in coverage from what I've heard. Personally I'd rather have Orange Weds than O2 priority.

The only thing holding me back is I'd miss having visual voicemail if I moved to O2. Apparently there is an app called Hullomail that allows you to have visual voicemail on networks other than O2 but have yet to try it so not sure how it compares.

5. biffarino macrumors member

i made the switch from o2 to orange last thursday on launch day. 2g coverage was significantly worse at my house on orange. i didn't see any 3g before and i didn't with orange, but i wasn't getting any 2 coverage either.

i only had the phone a couple of days before returning due to the poor signal issues in my area (fault with the local masts :rolleyes:), but i have to say, when i was away from my house, orange seemed a lot better. the 3g seemed significantly faster than o2 and there was definitely more 3g coverage. it was just a real shame i didn't see anything at home.

i can't upgrade with o2 now because i cancelled my contract with them.

that said, i'll probably skip iphone now.

6. OJcamden macrumors newbie

Where are you based biffarino? My friend has a htc desire on orange which had very poor reception at home (this is in central London) anyway orange unlocked his phone in some way so that it could get better reception and he now has 3g all the time.

7. biffarino macrumors member

i'm in surrey. not too remote. but on all the coverage checkers my house is in a little patch of poor/lesser service. going by how big the patch it is, it can only really be about 500 yards square. very strange. not too fussed about 3g because i have internet and wifi, but no calls and text is a no no.

orange didn't say anything to me about improving reception via the phone, although i can't imagine the signal problems the iphone had really helped things.