02 Pay & Go really fully unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nipz, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Sorry to be a royal pain in the ass but im going down to by the a 3GS tomorrow from the 02 shop that is 'unlocked' and wanted to be 100% sure that its really unlocked and that i could put any sim in i want and it would work fine :)

I know its sounds stupid, but would rather look like a tit on here than spend £440 on a phone and it not work lol

Thanks in advance.

2. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Sorry but i dont think it is... i am sure its just an O2 only PAYG phone.....

3. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

4. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

I think i may have made this worse than i wanted :)

Im on a iPhone 3G contract, just cant upgrade so want to buy a pay and go and put my sim in. So its an 02 sim so that should be ok right?

Sorry for the confusion. Just my mate is on Orange and wants an iPhone 3GS but has 10 months of his contract left. So he 100% wouldnt be able to drop his sim in and it work?

Cheers guys!

5. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

You can use your iPhone 3G sim but your friend cannot use his Orange sim without hacking/unlocking it....

You should look into your options for upgrading.... O2 are allowing people who spend certain amount per month upgrade based on the expenditure... check out their site....

Also it may work out cheaper to pay of the rest of your contract then take out a new 3GS contract with O2....

My 3G contract runs out early next year so if i wait another month or so if i wait a month or so i will be able to pay of the rest of this one and take out a new one and get the 16GB 3GS for £98 works out about £50-60 cheaper than buying the £440 PAYG 3GS....

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You can use your SIM with x months of contract left on it, with a new PAYG iPhone from O2 (and you'll get a PAYG SIM with free wifi etc that you can activate months a few months later). The PAYG phone will be locked to O2. An Orange SIM won't work, (till the unlock comes to the iPhone 3GS and we don't know when that will be )

7. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

I looked into paying off my contract but i dont want a new contract because i will want the new iPhone next year so would rather upgrade my contract then :) if any of that makes sense!

My mate wont be happy but who cares about him! its all ME ME ME right now lol