02 PAYG Apple iPhone 3G Latest...WTF?!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdm1985, Jul 5, 2008.

1. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

This is an email i recieved after asking for why the previous reponse confirmed PAYG July 11th and 02 posters saying 'Later This Year'

"Hello Shawn,

Thank you for relying to Lucky's email.

I'm sorry you're a little confused Shawn about the launch of the iPhone 3G on our Pay & Go tariff, this isn't our intention. The iPhone should have been launching on 11 July 2008 however this date can change as it needs to pass all software accreditations and phone tests with us first.

As soon as we have further information, it'll be undated on the O2 Website.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone

Thank you for taking the time to email us and have a nice day, if I can help with anything else please reply to my email.

To find further details about O2, please visit our superb Help Centre at:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help

Don't forget, for us to answer your query faster, please provide your mobile number, two numbers that you call or send text messages to regularly and the date, amount and method of your last Top-Up, every time you email us.

Kind regards,

Sue
    Team EC3
    O2 Customer Service."

Grrrr

2. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Please tell me you made that up.

Never mind O2 not being able to organize a row of chairs.. with statements like that I wouldn't trust them with the chairs in the first place!

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Ok, that just throws everything up in the air.

Even the launch itself.

R-Fly

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I wouldn't worry…

Poor "Sue" of Team EC3 is probably clueless.

:D

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

3G iPhones on contract available from July 11, PAYG not yet available, and won't be available on July 11 - probably not for a couple of weeks. The OP's email doesn't change any of this.

The bad grammar and use of a template email indicates cluelessness. Any word as to *what* exactly the EC3 dept does? Apart from FUD?

6. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Look:

As aready quoted, this suggests the launch date for iPhone 3G can change, subject to O2's discretion.

R-Fly

7. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It's a really wierd response from them. "Sorry for the confusion.. here's a more confusing statement". should have been launching? Not 'should launch'? Don't O2 proofread their responses at all?

The 'undated' typo is quite funny too (was that in the original or a transcription error?).

Clearly O2 CS haven't gained any more clue in the last few days, judging by their responses. Do I really want to be tied for 18 months to these clowns? (answer: No, but it's the only way I'll get an iphone on the 11th).

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I think people are over reacting here.

It is one email from an O2 rep who clearly cannot even type a decent email reponse.

Ask yourselves: If there is such a major problem would O2 be putting up displays etc?

The news would have leaked out a long time ago.

Just a few deep breaths and it'll all be OK. ;)

The iPhone is not going away… or be delayed.
    Perhaps the 16GB will be released later. Perhaps not.

Some common sense will go a long way… ;)

9. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know its very unlikely but how do you know you wont get it on PYG this friday...you may get one in the Apple store!

10. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Oh we all know that.. I don't think anyone on the thread actually believes they'd delay the launch.

Just the cluelessness of O2 staff is reaching new heights!

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Really? Reading people's responses you wouldn't think so…

Besides the staff at O2 only know as much as the "management" tell them…
    Don't shoot the poor messengers — or do you think they are knowingly misleading you? ;)

The problems are higher up in O2 structure. And that is indeed worrying.
    :)

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

No - I believe that Sue is trying to say that the PAYG date can change. July 11 is the 22 country launch, including "I can't believe we can't make up our minds and get the logistics sorted" O2 stores.

I posit that the Clueless O2 worker forget to insert the words PAYG into this sentence:

The [PAYG] iPhone should have been launching on 11 July 2008 however this date can change as it needs to pass all software accreditations and phone tests with us first.

As soon as we have further information, it'll be undated on the O2 Website.

Heck, it's coming out at my local store. Shame if it isn't coming out at Sue's ;)

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

14. zeasar macrumors regular

zeasar

I think its not about how much they know, its how they do their job.

If Im in a position to answer questions I do not know the answer of, I would sign post them to where they can find the answers, not trying to throw out some stupid "technical" terms and try to looks smart. --->
    Since when O2 is doing the jobs of the FCCs? :D

15. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I am pretty sure this sentence refers to the launch of the pay& go iPhone 3G, not the entire launch of the new phone. That would be a ridiculous thing to go back on, and I very much doubt it would even be possible. So just the Pay & go release date is up in the air. And the e-mail was possibly a polite way of O2 saying that it won't be out on friday.

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It is strange it's like O2 can't just say "we're bringing PAYG out later, deal with it" - on first talking about PAYG to an O2 employee today, the O2 staffer implicitly put the blame of no PAYG at the feet of Apple. But, to be frank - it's O2's judgement. Nothing to do with FCC. It'd be the same darn phone, so

pass all software accreditations and phone tests with us first

is BS. He admitted as much when pushed a bit more.

17. MojoWill macrumors 6502

PAYG will be delayed

there is NO WAY ON EARTH that the iphone won't be released on july 11th

18. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

19. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Carphone warehouse today said the iPhone will be avaiable on PAYG on Friday...it is on a stock order.

ummm whatever!!