02 Stratus SE vs. 02 Intrepid SE

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wizwaz3, Nov 7, 2007.

1. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

I'm going to be getting my first car (not shared with someone else) not too long from now. I've got the option to get either of those two cars. They have the exact same engine, but the Intrepid is bigger.

I'm tossed between having the smaller, lighter car with more get up and go, or the roomier car that still has power. I know I'd be happy with either. Can someone refute that the Intrepid would suffer from it's beefier structure? If anyone can, I'd be dead set on the Intrepid. :D

2. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

I'd go for the Intrepid, personally, because I like having big cars that I can fit lots of junk in. I will say that it is nasty trying to back them up - the back end is high, which makes it difficult to see.

3. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

I drove one last night. It's so smooth! I have to agree, it's hard to see the corners on it.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd get the smaller car. Once you own a smaller car, you'll understand just how much better they are to drive daily.

5. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

This is my personal opinion but I think chrysler cars are horrible in 2 senses.

1) Air Conditioning Systems
    2) Transmissions

(3 if you include styling, but I suppose that has to be your choice)

They break. Yes, stuff wears out over time but our Jeep had A/C problems, my friends moms old Dodge Minivan had A/C Problems, many of my friends jeeps (everybody has a jeep around here) have A/C Problems.

I also know a lot of chrysler/dodge/jeep owners who get pretty upset when their transmissions break. My sisters 01 Grand Cherokee had transmission problems at 70,000 miles and had to be rebuilt. My friend has an '04 Grand Cherokee with 58,000 miles and he has transmission problems that the dealer can't figure out. I know a number of soccer moms with caravans and town and country with tranny issues as well. My god parents had a durango that had A/C issues as well and sold it.

I dunno, that just my advice. I suppose I can't base all of my bigotry on Jeeps and Minivans. You can't go wrong with a camry or an accord though.

I would go with a the stratus between the two. I like smaller cars and I think it looks better. It has a cooler name as well.

6. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

Stratus.

Seems the more modern of the two, the Intrepid seems a bit dated.

7. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

With cars, weight is the enemy -- Go for the Stratus.

Either car is better than an Aries :)

8. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Hahah A K-CAR!

My parents and aunt and uncle went to California before I was born. Something got messed up and they ended up having to have one of those pieces of crap for a rental car. Apparently there was something wrong with the door latch and they were driving on the highway, got off and exit ramp, the door flew open and my aunt almost flew out. hahah.

Get a Peel P50. Those are cool!

9. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Isn't Top Gear great?

10. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Top Gear is amazing.

11. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Intrepid is safer and has more room. It will get about the same fuel economy and is better built. I'd get the Intrepid if those 2 cars were my choices.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Does the driving experience not count for much? If I didn't need a big sedan/saloon, I wouldn't get one. I'd think that the smaller car is more fun and nicer to drive. I haven't driven either car, but if they have the same engine and were designed by the same people, that'd be my guess.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If the stratus has the manual transmission, take it and run.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Bigger cars are safer, have more room, and depending on where you live handle better in the snow. I go function over form any day.

15. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

ErikCLDR: My dad works at a Dodge dealership and gets huge discounts on Daimler products, otherwise I'd totally go for a foreign car.

Abstract: Yes, the experience is always included. My sister has the Intrepid while my brother has an older model Stratus. His is a 4 cyl, but between his and hers, the Intrepid is much nicer to drive.

Abercrombieboy: I have to agree with you, much, much roomier and I would imagine the Intrepid being safer. Since they have the same engine, I would hope that mpg ratings were around the same.

MacNut: I live in Arizona. Nuff said. :p

My sisters Intrepid has a 234 HP engine and that seems like a perfect engine as far as performance goes, so my main concern is whether the 200 HP engine in the Intrepid in front of me will be strong enough for high-speed driving. Anyone have an opinion on that?