Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ParishYoung

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Bristol, South West UK
Hi,

It's my birthday and I'm thinking nice shiny new iPhone 3G for me.

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on the upgrade process however.

As you can imagine with the rumors of new hardware in 3 months, and the software "teaser" shown this week I'm cautious.

I tried emailing O2 for some advice, but the little Indian fella who replied didn't actually give me an answer.

Look forward to hearing from ya.

foxx0775

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
sometimes they introduce a policy where it is possible to 'upgrade' your handset if you bought the previous iPhone model within a certain time frame (with monthly contract). They did this when i worked there going from 2G to 3G - only for a short period, because they weren't moving handsets as quickly as hoped.

Whether they will adopt this same plan is unpredictable. Although, doubtful as the handset has reached such popularity that they wouldn't need the extra sales.. saying this, its been done before so why not!

I say, if you need a phone, get your 3G now. There is a chance they will let you upgrade to next model (for a price i assume). If you can wait, just be a bit more patient and see what rumours come about closer to june/july. I have a feeling we will see a price increase mind..

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I'd save your birthday money for June/July.

Stable final release of OS 3.0 + new hardware = win/win.

Buying shonky plastic 3G now + having to pay an upgrade fee = lose/lose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.