02wire loses connection with iMac...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eyeu, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Eyeu macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Very frustrating, with Lion I constantly lose my internet connection. Use AT&Ts 02wire modem. The wireless always loses its connection and takes a minute or two to reconnect. Have talked with ATT&T and Apple on numerous times, but still have the problem Changed from WEP..changed preferences,etc. Heard to disconnect bluetooth, but that will mess up my wireless keyboard and trackpad. Any idea? thanks..
    Rick

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Lion has known wifi issues. Are you running Lion? Also you should definitely not be running WEP. If I recall, 2wire modems come with WPA by default where the passphrase is the serial number on the bottom of your modem. No need to touch bluetooth. I can't imagine how that would help. So this leaves two possibilities. 1) The 2wire modem is defective and keeps dropping connection. or 2) You are running an early release of Lion that has known wifi dropping issues.

Here are my 3 suggestions: 1) If you are running 10.7 or 10.7.1, upgrade to 10.7.2 and if this doesn't help, contact AppleCare. 2) Contact At&t for a modem swap. You will have to reset your SSID and passphrases but perhaps a new modem will solve your issues. 3) disable the wireless feature of the 2wire modem, get an Airport Extreme and use it as your router by plugging it into the 2wire modem and plugging all your other wired stuff into the AEBS output and let the AEBS create your wireless network.