04 ms office okay? or 08 a must for new mb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khunxhor, Feb 9, 2008.

1. khunxhor macrumors member

should microsoft office 2004 work okay with a brand new macbook? or do I need the new 2008 version. I finally installed it (2004) on my mb and im having these problems.

-quits unexpectedly A LOT!
    -says "microsoft office framework could not load" every time i open excel, word, or powerpoint....but program still goes through and works okay<as far as i know atleast

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

i have office 2004 installed in my mbp, it's been working pretty good. but i now prefer to use iWork 08 (much better).

3. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Never had those problems on my MBP.

The only annoyance is that it takes forever to load, as it's not Universal. Other than that, it works great. I do most of my word processing in TextEdit (Mac) or WordPad (Windows), though - I prefer lightweight editors.

4. khunxhor thread starter macrumors member

i def. want to switch to iwork 08, but was afraid I wouldnt have time to get accustomed to it since im smack in the middle of a semester..:(

Do you think apple store will help me with this if i go?? Doesnt seem they like dealing w/ anything microsoft. Plus, I installed a friends copy, and don't want them making a fuss about that. (rules say you can only put it on 5 computers in the same household, right?)

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I have office '04 on my MB. Like Leopard, the decision not to switch was based on not switching for the sake of switching.

6. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

2008 has some pretty useful extras like charts etc when I had a look on my friends. there seemed to be so many options don't think I'd get my work done.

I have tried 2004 version but switched back to iWorks

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Personally, I avoid both like the plague.

NeoOffice..... :p

8. khunxhor thread starter macrumors member

well, its not exactly for the sake of switching. I've worked w/ keynote before and loveee it compared to powerpoint. Didnt want to worry about getting accustomed to Numbers is why I didn't buy iwork. :)

was that a yes for the apple store question? :p

9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

iWork is the best! I'm no Apple fanboy but MS Office works best on a PC and iWork is obviously the best solution for Mac.

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Tools for the job. iWork is not the best solution if you need to embed spreadsheets in text documents, create any sort of complicated spreadsheet etc. However if you don't need these things then Office is overkill. It is not about working best on the PC or best on the mac.

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

best solution for the majority of consumer, i just use Pages to type up my papers and Keynotes to do presentations. That's all. :) There's no need for me to be paying bill gates 4-5x the amount of iWork.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I really like Nisus Writer for word processing. Has plenty of features, its fast, doesn't use a lot of RAM, loads instantly and uses RTF as a native file format, so virtually any other app will open the files.

13. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Advice from a Day in and Day out Office User

I have to use office all the time to make presentations and word documents (not excel as much) and share my files with others (mostly pc users of office). I owned office 2004 and it was a joke with conversion errors. I have used office 2008 in the apple store and it is MUCH faster and appears to have more support for 1997-2003 office (which is what you should always save your files in because not enough people or computers have 0ffice 2007 with its xml support installed). When I got files from office 2007 users and opened them in office 2004 they looked hideously ill-formatted (words coming off pages in powerpoint, images not displaying, fonts were all different - ie a total freaking mess). Do yourself a favor and at the LEAST get office 2008 if you do any real office work and if you're serious I would run parallels or bootcamp office 2007 or office XP. Just my 2 cents.

14. DizzyRose macrumors regular

DizzyRose

'04 was built for PPC processors. '08 is built for both.

Go with '08.

15. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

4-5× the amount? $79 vs. $149? That's not even twice the amount, and note that the $149 Home & Student Edition of Office gives you three licenses, you'd have to pay $99 for multiple iWork licenses, making the difference only $50.

16. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Okay fine, I was exaggerating. But still MS stuff is more expensive here (85 pounds (Amazon UK) vs. 30 pounds (Apple HE) i paid for iWork). That's like 3x more expensive. And I only have one Mac, so I don't need 3 licenses.

17. ETID macrumors regular

I use Office '04 on my macbook and everything works great except for when Im transferring files to a PC version. Even though they are saved in a format that should work with PC all the pictures and diagrams come up blank on a PC declaring I need quicktime and a decompressor to view them. So if you use diagrams etc in Word an want to see them also on a PC its not very helpful. Does '08 do this?

This completely ruined my day, as all the printers in University library are running off xp.

18. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I've been trying to find 04 for cheaper than 08 but can't. When I hit the stores both 04 and 08 cost the same! I can't believe it! I'll probably get 08 from Amazon since in the end certain docs won't open on PC without it :(

19. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I'm not jumping up to Office '08 because it's just overkill for me, but Office '04 - actually just Word- isn't very stable on the powerpc computers I run it on.. Word will often times just quit the first time I launch a document.. After the initial attempt it opens fine.. Strange, but it's more annoying than anything so I just deal with it.. I'm not a heavy word user, so it's no biggie..

20. InSaNeCyAnUr macrumors member

I had Office 04 and I switched to 08 when I bought Leopard. I like it more and it's faster. Plus there are a lot of extra things, and you can get the Student version for around 150$ which has 3 licenses (can instal on 3 computer). I think it's a really good deal because you'll have it for around 4 years. 150$ for 4 years seems pretty low to me.

I do have iWork 08 too, but if your friend doesn't have a mac, you can export it to a .doc format, but you loose all the fun stuff of Pages, so you better have just made it in Office. Plus, you CAN'T send Pages documents, because it's not just a document, it's a bunch on stuff in a package content (like an application).

21. khunxhor thread starter macrumors member

I do have to say im a bit overwhelmed. Thanks for all the input! I think I'll just buy the upgrade to office '08. I have been using ms office for like ever and see no good reason in changing now.

what jbg232 said totally threw me off......why in the world wont it open with an older ms office???? if changing it is as easy as backspacing the "xls" and typing ".doc" i wont care....but then again, that means you cant open it with your own mac later.....? :(

why cant i just take my mb into the apple store and ask them to fix my current ms office 04? :)

22. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

You can get '08 for $129.99 with no tax and free shipping from Amazon.com :cool:

23. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I know this may sound condesending but have you updated it with the latest service pack? This added all sorts of stability for me. I know there is a 99% chance you have done this, but on the off chance you have not, I thought I would throw it out there. I'd link to it but I'm on my iphone...

24. agojes macrumors member

Have you tried to update the office?
    To make it 11.3.9?

Dunno if it's going help with your situation. But might as well try? :)

25. InSaNeCyAnUr macrumors member

I live in canada;) Which changes the shipping to canada to 50$, which is completly stupid. So I bought it at school.