'07 2.16Ghz Idle Temp?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by burnout8488, Oct 20, 2011.

1. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

I leave my MacBook on overnight, plugged into a 20" Apple Cinema Display. Power settings dictate the monitor goes into sleep mode after 7 minutes of no activity, so it's off when I wake up.

When I check iStat immediately after, the CPU temp is around 52º-57º C. Shouldn't it be in the low forties?? The fan is around 1800rpm.

This MacBook is recently rebuilt, and I used Arctic Silver thermal paste on the heatsink. (Correct amount, not the gobs Apple provide)

2. simsaladimbamba

The temps sound about right, depending on the CPU load and room temperature.

3. kaydot macrumors regular

My temperatures are identical on an 07 macbook. It usually sits at 56c, and the fan comes on any time the temperature approaches 60c.

4. GenesisJLS macrumors regular

GenesisJLS

Those temperatures do sound correct. I reapplied some arctic silver ceramique to mine earlier in the summer and it helped. It's an older machine, they do heat up, especially without a dedicated GPU.

5. burnout8488 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. My girlfriend's '08 2.4Ghz MacBook Pro runs a lot cooler when idle (40-45ºC) so that got me thinking.

Maybe the aluminum chassis of the MBP helps cool the chip down better in the pros....but the integrated/non-integrated GPU argument makes the most sense, since hers has a dedicated 8600 chip.