07 8-core mac pro vs 09 quad-core

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cody.chandler, Aug 6, 2009.

1. cody.chandler macrumors newbie

cody.chandler

currently have a 2007 8-core 3.0ghz mac pro. looking into selling it to snag a new 2009 2.66 quad-core. I use the computer for a little bit of everything including some gaming. nothing to in depth with anything I do. I like to dabble in some video/photo editing, but also like to fire up bootcamp and play some crysis. question is....assuming I can break close to even on price, am I sacrificing too much by simply wanting a new mac pro? Is it best to stick with what I have? Or would a new one be quite the upgrade? thnx

2. waiwai macrumors regular

nahelem mac pro's rock that 07 octo mac pro of yours. and u don't sound like a "professional" that requires 8 cores anyways, so if you are able to break even, you should do make the jump.

3. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I think, since you say you don't really do much with it, you're going to get a lot of people asking why you even have a Mac Pro. After all it's quite a beast to "dabble" with and it's not exactly a gaming machine.

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

There was a similar thread started a couple of days in the Mac Pro forum, I would have a look as the OP’s usage was fairly similar to yours - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=758334

I think the pros and cons are weighed up nicely and gugucom does a nice summary of the advantages of the new machine.

Although I suspect you’re right, I would say there are quite a few people who use Mac Pros in a similar way, going on comments made in the Mac Pro forum. In one or two threads about Handbrake, I got the impression the performance of this app was more important to them in their purchasing decision, than that of Photoshop, say.

5. fpar macrumors regular

With Snow Leopard round the corner I would stick to the 8-core, it will still be far faster than a 2009 quad core once programs appear that can use all the power of that machine.

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

Even with the OP's usage?

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Sorry, but you're wrong. With the OP's current limited usage, processor speed trumps multiple cores (of which he already has 8). No, he doesn't even need the 07 MacPro he currently has. Unless he is planning to become a power user in the next few years, he would be better served by running his current machine into the ground.

8. andrewsd macrumors 6502

I would have to agree.

9. cody.chandler thread starter macrumors newbie

cody.chandler

I appreciate all the input guys. Let me give you a little more background...I purchased this machine from someone on ebay. Bought it for 1600. Have had absolutely no problems with it. Currently, it is back up on ebay at 2600. I am sure both of these machines are more than I will ever need, but as far as an investment...I like having a current model with a warranty. any thoughts?

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes, exactly. Processor speed trumps multiple cores..

He has a 3.0Ghz 8core, going to a 2.66Ghz Quad.

Hmm, seeing as how in what he's doing processor speed is more important, I'd keep that 8core.

11. TheSilencer macrumors regular

Since Apple doesn´t provide a choice the Mac Pro is basically the "gaming rig" to go, especially considering better graphics cards. It sure is an overkill but gaming is a legit usage and an Hackintosh is the only other option.

Anyway, the Nehalem Quad 2.93GHz might be equal to better as the 07 Octa (benchmark wise, especially using Windows Vista/7 which can handle Nehalem better than Leopard at least) and games will take benefit of the new CPU/RAM combination in the future. Also games tend to dislike two physical CPU systems (and this won´t change soon IMO), so the quad is good for gaming tho games also dislike Hyper Threading but that might change because of the new arise of Hyper Threading with Core i7 and i5 CPUs.

So, if you want to sell the 07 MP with Apple Care left, go for it and get an Nehalem 2.93GHz or the 2.66GHz and upgrade it to 3.06GHz XEON yourself. It will perform better for most high end and upcomming games IMO.
    Also waiting for 2010 MP is an option but they won´t get cheaper, just more cores.