'07 iMac Running Ungodly Slow Lately

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dmac77, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Dmac77, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Hi All,

So here's the issue, my mid 2007 iMac (2.4GHz C2D, 2 GB RAM) has become really really really slow over the past few months. So much so that I literally dread using it anymore (I use my Windows 7 laptop most of the time now, sad I know). By slow here's what I mean:

-3 minute 30 second boot time (cold start) (used to boot within 45 seconds, and be usable the second I hit the desktop)
    -Another 1 to 2 minutes before the machine becomes usable, if I start to use it the second I hit the desktop I get beachballing galore, dock freezing, etc.
    -Apps take forever to load, when I first got the machine, apps would load within a few seconds, now the icon will sit in the dock bouncing for 15-30 seconds

Here are the specs on the iMac:

-iMac 7,1 (late 2007)
    -2.4 GHz Intel C2D with 800MHz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache
    -ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro GPU with 256MB VRAM
    -320GB 7200RPM HDD (Western Digital Caviar Blue) (SMART status is verified), w/ approximately 85GB free
    - OS X 10.6.6 (originally shipped with OS X 10.4.11 or OS X 10.4.10 not sure which)

I installed Snow Leopard on release day, and it has been getting progressively slower ever since. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to get my iMac back to normal? I'd really like to avoid a full system reinstall if possible, because I've been irresponsible and don't have all of my data backed up, and to be frank, I don't have a large enough external to back up to. I do realize that the machine is 3.5 years old, and I do plan on getting a new Mac soon, but soon will probably be July or later.

Thanks,

-Don

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Run disk utility.

If that doesn't help, try creating a new user account and seeing if that works any better.

3. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

What do you mean by "Run disk utility?" I don't mean to be brash or anything, but what should I have disk utility do?

-Don

4. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Run the tools to repair the disk as well as repairing disk permissions.

5. astrodog macrumors newbie

The local Office supply shop here is just about giving away 320GB externals if you buy a packet of pens! I would certainly backup a flakey system before starting disk repairs.