07' macbook blue screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mathlete123, Nov 15, 2009.

1. mathlete123 macrumors member

"So my computer (a Macbook that I bought in Summer 07) has suddenly started being angry with me. Know that blue screen? Not the evil one that means your computer is about to blow up, but the beautiful blue one that comes up during the startup sequence and when you log in and out? Well every now and then, that will pop up when I'm using my computer, like my computer decides it's going to shut down and then suddenly changes its mind! First, the mouse is not responsive, then the screen turns blue for a second, and then everything goes back to normal, all in a period of about 5 seconds.

I still have Apple Care in effect, but if somebody knows an easy fix, you can save me a trip to the "Genius Bar" "

Any ideas? (not my computer, this is an email i got)

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Are you connected to an external monitor? That's what laptops will do when a connection is made, if so...maybe it's dropping and reconnecting to the monitor?

3. mathlete123 thread starter macrumors member

As i said, It's not my computer, but i assume that she would have said so if that was the case. Any other ideas? I'll pass that along.

4. sara4lsu macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem with my macbook. I bought it in Feb 08, and it's not under warranty. I've been having the problem for almost a month.

When I'm using it, the screen will suddenly turn blue (like the blue you see when you restart), and then after a bit, will return to normal. Sometimes the blue screen is pre-empted with a frozen cursor or mouse a second or two before it appears. The screen will stay blue for a few seconds to upwards of a minute, and when it's done, everything is fine and still works.

I've gone through several steps, but so far no solution:

Step 1 - Through a phone call to apple, sent info to apple, and then removed Southwest Ding software. Blue screen continued.

Step 2 - After having the problem escalated to Apple Engineering, the solution was for me to re-install my operating system by doing an archive and install, without saving my settings. The goal was to try and isolate if it's a hardware or software problem. After reinstalling, blue screen continued.

Step 3 - Visit Apple Store Genuis Bar. Of course, computer won't "perform" and show the rep the blue screen. His advice: do a complete reinstall of operating system. Complete reinstall, and only re-download and install a few items, and move important files directly from time machine. Blue screen continues.

What I've noticed is that the blue screen seems to appear more when I have a lot of applications running. Is there a part of the hardware that could be acting up when too many programs are running? I'm not familiar with the inner workings of macbooks! At this point, I'm assuming it's a hardware issue, not a software problem.

I've set up another appointment at the Genuis Bar for tomorrow, but would love any info anyone can offer.

Thanks!

5. iphone-user68 macrumors newbie

Did you ever get a solution to the periodic blue screen issue?
    I'm having the same problem on an 08 MacBook. It just started a few days ago. Appreciate any info.

6. sara4lsu macrumors newbie

The problem was finally resolved by Apple. After making several trips in, (I finally used my digital camera and captured the problem via video, so I could show them in case it wouldn't "perform" at the Genuis bar!) they sent it off to the repair center, and replaced the Main Logic Board, Harddrive and Heatpipe. It appears that the Heatpipe was the problem. I'm assuming it was going bad. Luckily for me, the Genuis Bar was able to make it a covered repair, so it didn't cost me anything. Since then, it's been 7 months and I haven't had the problem again.

Having the problem did teach me the importance of using Time Machine, and investing in an external harddrive to back up my photos and info. I highly recommend you do that before bringing yours in for service!

Best of luck!