07 MacBook- fix it or scrap it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wmitch, Apr 18, 2012.

1. wmitch macrumors regular

wmitch

So I have a black MacBook 2.16 c2d with 2gb ram and a 750 gb hard drive from mid 2007 and I'm going to be buying a 2012 mbp whenever they come out. Up until recently, I was planning to swap the hard drive out for a 250gb i have and give the old machine to someone who I know could really use a laptop.

But...
    1) the battery life just went off the cliff. I had about 1000 cycles on it and it just went from getting a few hours to maybe 30 minutes.
    2) it just started Having issues where the caps lock will not go on and off properly (if you turn it on, it stays that way till you reboot) and also it frequently fails to log strokes on the "t" key. From what I've read, these are likely symptoms of a failing logic board.

I understand the logic board replacement is more than the machine is worth and Im not sure how much longer this thing would keep ticking along so I'm wondering what you guys would do with it.

Replace battery? Logic board? Both? Neither? Let my beloved black MacBook RIP?

Also, the SuperDrive went out a few years ago but I don't even miss that.

2. Bear macrumors G3

It could be the logic board or the keyboard.

Only you can decide if investing in parts is worth it to you. Truthfully it's old enough that it's probably not worth it.

3. wmitch thread starter macrumors regular

wmitch

Is there any way to test this?

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You can take it to a genius bar for the diagnosis.

5. wmitch thread starter macrumors regular

wmitch

Thats probably what I'll do. Thanks!

Let me reframe the question... Assume best case scenario for a bit that the keyboard is the problem, If I Spend $100 to replace battery and keyboard, how much more life can be expected out of the machine? Or is it a complete crap shoot?

My big thing is that I want to give it to this person and im willing to spend some money to do it but I don't want to give them a money pit either.

Thanks for your help.

6. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Well a new battery from Apple is $130 all by itself.
    It's very odd that it would drop that much that quickly.

The Keyboad, topcase, and track pad are all one part on that model. If the top case is cracked (google to find pictures) then apple has been replacing them for free.

Good luck!!!

7. Culver1 macrumors newbie

Thanks Medic,.
    I thinks its best way to test this easily,.
    Any one else please suggest another easy way,.