07 Macbook Heat Issues? Time to open and clean?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lieb39, Oct 31, 2010.

1. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Hello everyone,

I'm still running a 2007 Macbook Core 2 Duo, 2.2GHz. A few upgrades here and there - mainly 500GB HDD and 4GB of RAM. Running the latest software of everything - and it does the job. Up until video conferencing - Skype, iChat - doesn't matter, about ten minutes into a chat the video quality will severely deteriorate until it freezes entirely. I remember when I orginally got this computer this was never an issue - something that only built up over time.

I've formatted this computer and started fresh about 3 months ago - the issue still persisted even after a fresh install.

I think the issue is dust in the computer. Dust builds up, computer gets hotter faster and as a result, slows down.

During a video chat the CPU temperature spiked to 90c and stayed around that area until the chat ended. The other temperatures were not nearly as high, with the Wireless module around 75c, and CPU cores spiking to 85.

Thoughts on my solution - good or bad?

Of course, computer completely out of service. And I've opened up other Macbooks - I'm skilled enough to do so. Also aware how difficult the little buggers can be - so I don't want to go ahead unless I really think this will resolve the issue.

Cheers,
    Daniel.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'd say go for it. Just follow the guide on iFixit.com if you aren't too sure about it. And remember where the screws go and have some new thermal paste to replace the old stuff on the CPU/GPU.