07 MBP Black Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lgwells1, Dec 3, 2011.

1. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I press the power button, and I get a black screen and some HDD noise. The keyboard never lights up, I never hear the boot up chime. Eventually it is just a fan running and the sleep light on. Things I have tried.

Reset PRAM
    Reset the SMC
    Safe Mode Boot
    Tried different RAM.

Any ideas? It does have the NVidia 8600M graphics card. Any chance it could still be under that recall thing they had going on awhile back?

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The website says 4 years. Bring it in ASAP, but you might be outside the free repair window. If not, you might still get a offer for a repair that is reasonably priced. I was offered a $330 "we repair it until it runs again" flat rate, on the grounds that I hadn't had any previous warranty issues with the MBP.

3. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I am taking it in to a AASP tomorrow morning. The nearest Apple Retail store is over 2 hours away.

4. broad macrumors member

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

2 hours trip is worth it if you really want to have logic board replacement at no extra cost.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The AASP should also do it for free (or, apple will pay them). The problem is that sometimes it's hard to diagnose what exactly is broken. If they can't verify that the GPU is the problem, they can't offer a free repair. There, an apple store is more flexible...

7. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Thanks, not like there that much to lose.

That is what I am worried about, is that they will deny free service. Then I might go to St. Louis.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Even the apple store might deny free service. The only thing they do is to plug in their diagnosis tool. In my case, it didn't show much since the mac didn't turn on for more than 1 second.

I agreed to have it repaired for $330 (at that time I didn't think it was the GPU, since I never had display issues), and when I came to pick it up they told me it was the GPU and the repair was free.

9. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

When I was in Australia, I went to the AASP in Wollongong a few times for different issues (including this one), but not liking their results, I made a Genius Bar appointment for the Sydney store, and went there. The results were greatly different.

If you don't like the the result the AASP gives you, see if you can take it to an Apple Store.

AnonMac50