07' MBP running very slowly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abc123, Jun 5, 2011.

1. abc123 macrumors 6502

I realise that this computer has aged quite a bit but I'm still puzzled as to why is is running as slow as it has been.

Basically it is a 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB of memory. Running 10.6.7.

I am having problems with it being painfully slow just web browsing and worse when I try to run other applications. I'm currently attempting to do some assignments using AutoCAD2011 but is it really slow going. The files that I am working on are not large at all, about 1MB.

Activity monitor shows between 70-90% of the CPU idle (even when safari and/or AutoCAD are beach balling). It is also typically showing 400-500MB of system memory free. Finder also tells me that I have 14GB of hard drive space remaining (is this too little?).

I've repaired permissions and verified disk in disk utility and it all comes up looking fine.

Besides spending $$ upgrading is there anything I can do to improve performance for the time being?

2. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

The only suggestion I have is to do a back up, then try a clean install of the OS. Then migrate your stuff back from your back up disc. Before that, try putting the original disc in, restart and run the disc then use disc utilities to repair permissions and repair disc.

Cheers, Macjim.

3. abc123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks ormie

I'm in the middle of exam week at the moment so was hoping for a quick fix but will try that out next week when I a few hours to spare. Thanks again!

4. abc123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just an update for anyone interested.

I did a clean install (I didn't do this when I upgraded from tiger to snow leopard so quite possibly could have been the root of the issues) and everything is running much nicer.

There also appeared to be something wrong with my AutoCAD install which is also now fixed.

5. ormie macrumors regular

ormie

Glad to hear you back to normal.

Cheers, Macjim.

6. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Your computer is already 4 years old so might want a new hard drive in 1 or 2 years.