'08 Imac HD Replacement FANS FULL SPEED PROBLEM

Discussion in 'iMac' started by whyrichard, Jan 22, 2012.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I just installed a Western Digital Caviar Black into a '08 imac 2.4 core duo.

The fans are running at super high speed constantly.

I tried downloading HDD Fan Control, but it still runs at high speed.
    I tried resetting the PMU, other such things, no luck.

The drive replaced was also a western digital. When replacing the drive I taped to the new hard drive what seemed to be the temp sensor. should i not have done that?

What should i do? I thought the '08 imacs had external sensors and this wasn't a problem?

any suggestions?

thanks,
    r.

2. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i uninstalled (by deleted the prep pane) hdd controller, and installed "Fan Control".

The current temperatures all read -195... are they not working properly?

r.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

I see posts where one asks if the temp sensor was properly attached to the hard drive. I just used electric tape to tape the sensor and sensor housing to the metal of the hard drive... Would that be okay?

Thanks. R

----------

I also ran a diagnostic, and I get this error message:

Apple hardware detected an error:
    4sns/1/40000000 tmop-130.000

Temp sensor?

4. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

ive heard of this issue before. when i tried to do more research all i kept getting was news about the 2011 imac drives having custom firmware in their hard drives including a 7 pin connector so user cant upgrade the hard drive. I also read both fan control apps do not fix the fan issue.

The few posts i did read about the sensor in the 2008 model didnt say much other then attach to hard drives. one post did mention the sensor seems to only work with certain drives like the wd cav black.

sorry i tried to find something but all the news about the 2011 machines is making it difficult to find.

5. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

the sensor should be stuck to new hdd in approx same position as was on old one with an adhesive foam pad,to protect it from getting false readings from other heat sources. also which looks likely is that you dislodged the sensor connector from mother board.

6. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

ps.
    also check you haven't dislodged lcd temp cable aswell

7. fred.bloggs macrumors member

This (-195) implies that you have either disconnected the sensor from the motherboard or damaged the wiring from the sensor (or the LCD sensor). Unless your house is really really cold ;)

I have replaced the drive in my 2008 24inch iMac. The only problem I encountered was getting rid of the dust on the inside of the glass. Fans OK.

Re-check the wiring.

Good luck

8. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

thank you all. will heed your wise advice!

r.