Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbleopard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I got the new aluminum macbook and I love it, but I have been running into a slight problem.

Every little bit my wireless disconnects and then reconnects a little bit later. I dont know if this a problem with the macbook itself or my wireless. I believe its airport because none of my other computers get disconnected from the internet.

Is there anything I can do or just wait for a patch or something from Apple?

Also is there anyway to disable the annoying message that doesnt allow you to log back onto iChat or Adium if the internet disconnects and reconnects too many times in a specified period of time?

Thanks in advance for the help!

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
when that happens, does the airport symbol on the top right still say you have signal? because I have had this happen to me pretty often, but it will say that I'm still fully connected...I'm not sure if it is just my router, or the actual airport card, but it doesn't seem to happen to my sister (white macbook), and my cousin (last gen macbook pro), or the rest of the computers in the house, which is about 4 more...

EDIT: however, when the airport is actually connected, I get the connectivity that I'm supposed to get, having a wireless N router, so really good speeds when it is actually working, but once it a while, it'll seem to just cut out, and I have to basically just wait until it decides to reconnect and start working again...

mbleopard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
when that happens, does the airport symbol on the top right still say you have signal? because I have had this happen to me pretty often, but it will say that I'm still fully connected...I'm not sure if it is just my router, or the actual airport card, but it doesn't seem to happen to my sister (white macbook), and my cousin (last gen macbook pro), or the rest of the computers in the house, which is about 4 more...

EDIT: however, when the airport is actually connected, I get the connectivity that I'm supposed to get, having a wireless N router, so really good speeds when it is actually working, but once it a while, it'll seem to just cut out, and I have to basically just wait until it decides to reconnect and start working again...

Most of the time the airport symbol goes grey like Im not connected, but when the internet cuts out and the airport symbol is still black if I click on the airport symbol it sometimes shows my wireless router but i have to click on it to reconnect,

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
That happens sometime to me but only at my office when I'm connected to the wireless and the high traffic combined with the weaker signal will cause that to happen...
how strong is the signal?

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I believe there was a thread last week reporting problems with wifi at home, but only with the MB but not other computers. It wasn't an Apple router (yours isn't Apple either right).

You can try to do a search. But I don't think there was any good solutions posted. There are so many things that could cause problem with wifi, depending on the specific setup/brand. It's hard for other to suggest solutions.

A to-the-root solution would be to buy the airport extreme of course.

vienta

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
I had this problem FOREVER and replaced both my router and my modem trying to fix it with no luck. I even got a new computer during this time and that didn't make a difference. I finally figured out that it was the encryption, I had switched over the WAP2 around the time it started happening. I switched back to WEP (which isn't supposed to be as secure but I'd rather take the risk than have the frustration) - and now everything is working fine.

Mako5

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
This is also happening to me. I have 5-6 ThinkPads connected wirelessly plus another 2-3 pc's/devices connected via hardwire. Only my new Macbook drops the connection periodically even when I am only 5 ft away from the Access Point/Router. I am using DLink DI-524 and WPA. I also see the Mac "Scanning' all the time.

mbleopard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
That happens sometime to me but only at my office when I'm connected to the wireless and the high traffic combined with the weaker signal will cause that to happen...
how strong is the signal?

Its usually sitting about 5-10 feet away from my wireless router so I have full signal

I believe there was a thread last week reporting problems with wifi at home, but only with the MB but not other computers. It wasn't an Apple router (yours isn't Apple either right).

You can try to do a search. But I don't think there was any good solutions posted. There are so many things that could cause problem with wifi, depending on the specific setup/brand. It's hard for other to suggest solutions.

A to-the-root solution would be to buy the airport extreme of course.

Yea I have a 2Wire wireless router, so people who have the airport extreme dont have the same problems as people with other wireless routers? That seems kind of odd...

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I connect to an AP and it still does it, but not quite as often as yours...

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Yea I have a 2Wire wireless router, so people who have the airport extreme dont have the same problems as people with other wireless routers? That seems kind of odd...

I used to have Linksys and Netgear routers, and I would have connection problem regularly. Then I got the AP extreme, and never have problems anymore.

mbleopard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
It sounds really weird and I'm not sure why but if I have my macbook close to my wireless router like now I have it within 3-5 ft of it then the wireless cuts in and out. But earlier I had my mb elsewhere in my house further away and the wireless never cut out during the 4 hours of use...like I said kind of weird

Jisuo

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Sweden
I had the same big problems with Airport first time I used it (kept loosing connection, very slow, etc), but I found a silly little tip somewhere with google:

I added another connection in Network in System Preferences, called it "Home" (could be anything), but let the original connection (called Airport) be the "primary" (top of the list).

Problems stopped immediately. Not sure it did it, I'm just glad it's working perfectly now. Even better than on my older IBM laptop.

Using a D-Link router.

mbleopard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Mine works like a charm so far... Did you try restarting your computer?

Yea I have tried, I just moved the wireless router further away from where I normally have it and did that trick that Jisuo mentioned and it has been ok

megamanbnmaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2008
I would also like to mention if the router is a Wireless B/G router then it could also be interference. On my old Sony Vaio everytime when a 2.4 GhZ Cordless phone gets used, the internet disconnects. You see the network but you can't connect to it until the phone call gets hanged up. (Even if the computer was 2 feet away from the router and the phone was in a different room).

We finally gave up and switched to 5.8 GhZ for Cordless phone, and it works fine with our router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.