08 MBP Battery Upgrade - Make a difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by quixoticboi, May 5, 2010.

1. quixoticboi macrumors newbie

So the late 2008/early 2009 model 15" MBP is rated at holding 5 hours on a single charge. Mine holds 3-4 if I dim my screen way down. I was wondering if anyone has upgraded their battery to a new 2010 model because they now have a rating of 7 hours.

Any insight would be great. I'm getting frustrated not knowing exactly how long it's going to last... until I see it plummet down. Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It won't make a difference for several reasons, but the most obvious is because the new 7-hour figure comes from a combination of hardware and software optimizations you won't be able to duplicate on your old model.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Since the battery is not user-replaceable (since June 2009 for the 13" and 15" MBPs, January 2009 for the 17" MBP), you can't built a new battery into the old housing, as that differs. Look at www.ifixit.com for the teardown of your model and the new ones and see what is different for yourself.

4. quixoticboi thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to get more out of the current battery then?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Calibrating.
    www.apple.com/batteries

Use less CPU resources. YouTube via ClickToFlash and Vimeo and YouTube can be used via HTML5.

Other than that, there is not much to do.

PS: Have you checked System Preferences > Energy Saver if you have selected MORE BATTERY LIFE or HIGHER PERFORMANCE?