08 plate spotting!

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by PowerFullMac, Mar 3, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

So, its now March 2008 so all the new cars have 08 plates (at least they do in the UK, not sure about how other plates work), by this I mean the number plate will be XX08 XXX, get it?

See if you can find any rich jerks with new 08 cars!

I took this pic on the 1st, meaning this car was just a day old!

EDIT: Also notice how thats the new Jaguar XR!

Attached Files:

2. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

it's damn pretty, but I don't think the states work like that :p

3. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

URGH this has annoyed me... you found your first plate on something good like a good Jag XR - i saw mine on a MOTORBIKE! lol

4. bartelby macrumors Core

The poor man's AM...

5. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

How do your plates work, anyway?

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

That's a very good question.

It seems to vary from state to state, and usually has a format of XXX-XXX where the three digits are what appear to be somewhat random alpha numeric characters.

In WI, it used to (at least it seemed to me) be three letters-three numeric digits...

Texas seems to be two sets of random alpha-numeric, and TX makes things more fun since they send new plates every 8 years or so that have completely new "numbers" on them...

7. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Each state is a bit different.

Indiana use to be ## X #### where the X is a letter and the # are, of course numbers. The first two numbers were the county you are from. This past year they trashed that whole system and went to something a lot more random that I have yet to figure out. (And the plates are a whole lot uglier as well. Indiana sends out new plates every 4 years.

Now vanity plates are a whole 'nother story!

8. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Now thats confusing!

In the UK, to get a custom plate you have to buy it off whoever owns it, or if no one owns it yet you have to get it and registor it and thats it! I think it has to have at least one number in too.

How things work over here is, like I explained in the first post, XXYY XXX, there YY is tells you the time of year the car was made, so if it says 57 its late 2007 to before March 2008, and if its 07 its early 2007... 57 plates appear in September BTW.

Its simple really.

Now, back on topic! 08 plates!

9. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

the BRITISH way!

Your explaining it the American way, the 08 stuff is all for the UK

Every new UK numberplate updates every 6 months, and the bit that changes is the numbers.

Standard setup:
    XXOO XXX

key:
    X = a letter
    O = a number

the two numbers change every sixth months like so:

04 (march 2004)
    54 (september 2004)
    05 (march 2005)
    55 (september 2005)
    06 (march 2006)
    56 (september 2006)
    07 (march 2007)
    57 (september 2007)
    08 (march 2008)
    and so on...

The first two X's are a regional lettering, eg. RN = Reading or OU = Oxford

And the last three X's are totally random I do believe.

SO TO SUMMARIZE:

a numberplate RN53 HIP
    we can tell it's a car that was purchased in Reading between March and August 2003 inclusive.

10. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

I saw one yesterday, I've forgotten the make and type of the car, but I can remember that it was dark blue in colour. :D

11. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

Hmm, only people outside the US can take place? Never knew had they did plates in the UK and stuff.

12. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Not our fault your plates are different... Only the UK does it like this I think.

13. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

14. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

My uncle should have picked up his 08 new shape Focus estate company car at dinner time.

[​IMG]

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i will say i like the longer rectangle plates more than the more square ones we have.

But out of all the US plates, I have to say CO's are the best bar none!

Attached Files:

16. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Ech, I hate these new plates. I didn't like the ones before(with the farm scene), but I'd take those back in a heartbeat.

I'd actually rather just get the In God We Trust plates(oh, you non-Hoosiers should have heard the debating - they have a plate that has the phrase "In God We Trust" on it, and its free - some people loved it, some people thought that since they charged extra for any other specialty plate, they should charge extra for this one. It wasn't fun). I think they look a lot better, but my parents decided not to get them for whatever reason.

Plus, with the old numbering scheme, it was so much fun to tell your friends from out-of-state what county any given car was from, and they would have no idea how you knew that. :( Now they have a sticker with the name on it for everyone to see.

edit: pics of old, new and IGWT: old: [​IMG]

new(see what i mean about the counties?): [​IMG]

IGWT:[​IMG]

17. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

Yea, European plates are so much more attractive than the plates in the states.

18. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Wikipedia page has a great explanation regarding License Plates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License_Plates

I personally like the new "cheap" plates for Michigan. They are solid white with a blue stripe across the top with the word Michigan written in it. It is much better that the older plates, which were solid blue, with white letters, and gave way to the phrase "Blue Plated A-Holes", which was very funny, when you understand that Michigan only has rear plates, no front plates.

I also like my home state of Washington's plates, with a very faint image of Mt. Rainier on them. Also, Oregon almost exclusivily uses the XXX-XXX system (very few states use it for more than just passenger, non-commercial vehicles), they have designed it with an evergreen tree in the middle, to naturally seperate the first three and last three.

Also, in most places with XXX-XXX systems, They increment the numbers (regardless of whether it is the first 3 or last three) from 000 to 999, then increment the letters, usually avoiding combinations that could be considered profain, and at least in Washington, reserving certain letter combinations for rental cars companies and saving WSP for all the Washington State Patrol vehicles.

TEG

19. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I hate the IGWT plates, they are so ugly. Plus, I wan't to know who to avoid on the road (never trust anyone with a 9 in the county number, or 27).

TEG

20. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

If it makes you feel any better, you won't have to look for a 9 or a 27 anymore, you'll have to look for a Cass or a Grant...

21. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I've only seen one car with an '08 plate so far... a yellow Smart Car!

22. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It wasn't just 9, but also 19, 29, 39, 49, 59, 69, 79, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 (I know, just avoid Marion County).

TEG

23. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Don't forget about the old UK styles, the first being XXX OOOX, with the final X relating to the year of sale, and more recently (but before the current style) XOOO XXX, with the preceding X being a letter relating to year (eg M 94-95, N 95-96)

24. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

After remembering all of my plate numbers, and my relative's Pa's are 100% random...and ugly.

If you are from Western PA you learn to remember the Ohio plate, as the WORST DRIVERS EVER.

Attached Files:

25. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Well, if you happen to be driving behind me...
    ... you'll most probably see...

(Oh, and I have to admit that I like the European plates more)

Attached Files: