'08 Pro auto-wake?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sesshi, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

What could be the cause of an '08 Pro waking up for no particularly good reason, and seemingly never going to sleep?

Say I'm working or playing on one of my Dells with the Pros slept, at random times I'll hear the Pros wake up. Also despite setting the sleep timer at 2 hours, if I leave the Pros running I never come back to find it slept. I have similar issues under Windows sometimes so I've not been very worried about that, but what concerns me is that it wakes up when I explicitly send it to sleep.

I'm pretty diligent about shutting down apps I'm not using, and really all I'd send the Pros to sleep with is with Office components running. I have no problems with my other previous and current Macs (although the Air is the only other Leopard machine right now) so am a little puzzled. The MX1000's I use on the Pros are holstered when I manually put the machines to sleep and nothing goes near the keyboard.

I doubt it is a hardware issue - I have two at home, and spilled beer over one of them recently (oops) and swapped it out for another more recent one which I brought back home. The first thing I did was to restore the beered Pro's install and I just heard it do the same thing. I'm fairly certain it's some configuration or software problem but I wondered if anyone had any quick answers before I started rooting around for the cause.

2. gsatch macrumors newbie

Seeing same "auto wake"

Hey Sesshi,

I'm not going to be able to help you much, other than tell you I'm seeing the same auto-wake "curiosity". You've most likely checked system Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Schedule ... (and I have too). What I'm seeing in my case is that it's at 5:00pm every day (which I can tell by running the "uptime" command from a terminal session (I'm a UNIX admin by day)).

Please post if you find out what's going on. I'll do the same.

Thanks!