09 13"MBP SSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyFred, Sep 23, 2012.

1. HappyFred macrumors member

Does it support SATA? There is m-SATA on the market as well, but it is more likely to be SATA on MBP. Is it worth upgrading? Since it only support SATAII, the performance of SSD will not be maximized. What brand will you recommend? I am looking for a 128MB one.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

There are still SATA II SSD drives on the market but some are expensive (Intel) and to my recent understanding others do not perform that well (Crucial v4, etc). It would be worth it to simply get a SATA III drive and let it adapt to the SATA II interface, it's okay if you don't get the full performance it will still be quite fast and there isn't anything you can do about it anyway, you would just be using what is available to you.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I picked up a 256GB Crucial M4 for $165 a few weeks ago. They've actually gone on sale for a little less since then. I suggest sticking with the SATA III drive even if your laptop doesn't support it. You'll be able to move itto a new laptop if you upgrade, and from the benchmarks I've seen there is still a performance difference, even on SATA II.

4. HappyFred thread starter macrumors member

Ok, let's stick with SATA III SSD. Have you heard about ADATA S510? Is it good?

----------

I have heard quite of lot of people using M4. They have got m-SATA, should I pick the other one? Is it better than Intel's?

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I have heard of it and ADATA as well but I don't know much on the specifics as far as speed tests and what not. I am sure you could get a hold of that kind of information with a simple Google search. I know that they offer drives for nice prices, although I have never owned one of their products.

When I decide to install a SSD I am most likely going to go with the Crucial M4. It's a nicely priced drive with great reviews, and Crucial is a very reputable company.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Standard SATA. This is the model I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004W2JL2A/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1348418699&sr=8-1

Intel makes great drives too, but some models use Sandforce controllers and some people have had issues with drives based on those. Do some reading and read some reviews.

The Samsung 830 and the OCZ Vertex 4 are good drives too.

7. HappyFred thread starter macrumors member

Alright. Have you heard about TRIM? People said enable TRIM to maintain the stability of SSD. However, don't use TRIM enabler software to do it because it causes a lot of problems.
    http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

----------

Since there are lots of SDD brand available. I have no idea which one to pick.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Some users have TRIM enabled, others do not. You can read about TRIM here.

9. HappyFred thread starter macrumors member

Did you enable it??

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I don't have a SSD, I still use platter drives.

11. HappyFred thread starter macrumors member

o.. are you planned to get one? Why don't you upgrade yours OS X to the latest one?

12. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I don't really "need" the speed of a SSD, I plan to upgrade it later on when the system starts to slow down. 5400 RPM is plenty in terms of speed and I can still get a lot of use out of this drive. It's a Toshiba MK-50.

I run Snow Leopard because I am content with it and when Lion came out I had no reason to upgrade. It was only $20 or $30 to upgrade when it was released but all of my applications are still supported by SL and I didn't think the price was worth it solely to have the latest and greatest operating system.