09 24" Screen repair

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shardey, Oct 24, 2011.

1. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

My 24" early 2009 iMac has this problem that looks like a film has built up under my glass. I have always kept my rooms air conditioned with zero humidity, as well as never exposed it to smoke.

It is still covered under Applecare, but I was wondering what they would do for me? Would they replace the LCD and glass or would they just opt to give me a whole new computer?

Never had a problem with this computer except the 1 kernel panic from upgrading to 8gb, over the course of 2.5 years. Most reliable computer I have ever owned, and it is on 24/7 365.

2. Zh2 macrumors member

Hi,

Are you aware that this may just be dust under the glass panel and that same panel is easily removed to allow cleaning?

An industrial strength " sucker " pad will do the trick and the whole process will only take around 20-30 minutes.

Regards.

Z

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

To clarify, zero humidity is really really bad. It's bad for you, and it makes the buildup of static electricity incredibly easy. But this is unrelated to the issue at hand.

Are you a smoker?

They're definitely not going to give you a whole new computer for that. It's probably just the glass, so if it can't be cleaned, it can be replaced. Whether or not it will be covered is up to them.

4. shardey thread starter macrumors 6502a

shardey

This is not dust, as I would of been able to easily tell. If I pull the glass out, it will put more dust in it then there is now.

My apologizes for saying "zero humidity". I meant that my room is always cool and has no relative humidity.

No I am not a smoker nor have I ever smoked, but the glass has a film on the inside, as well as the LCD having a "burn" effect at the top (where the vents are located). I am wondering if this has anything to do with playing games for 6 hours at a time under windows. My temps are high under windows and could be the reason why the LCD is messed up, but the glass is another story.

5. leehal macrumors member

My 09 21" iMac is in for the 2nd time to have this repaired under warranty, I was asked if anyone smoked near the machine (they don't). I was told I was incredibly unlucky for this to happen again after the screen was replaced last time.

6. shardey thread starter macrumors 6502a

shardey

Did they ever tell you what exactly was wrong, like if it was a film or not? Also did your lcd have the burn in effect on it?

7. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Just sooner or later about all iMac going to have this dust/smudges screen problem. I suspect this is a burned out LCD due to heat right from its behind. You know heatsinks located very close to the screen. So .. As long as the design not changed, this will get to iMac eventually. Dont care if you dont smoke near it, having low humidity or taking extra careful of your machine, it'll still happens.

You hardly notice this with another Mac platform. Only iMac have this common problem. Too bad since the display is something most glorious from an iMac, yet it's the most fragile one

8. shardey thread starter macrumors 6502a

shardey

I hope they repair the glass and lcd, if not then I wouldn't mind a newer mac :). It would be nice if they were forced to give me a 27", since the 21.5 is significantly smaller than my 24".

Regardless, the lcd looks really bad displaying the color white and grey. Check out this picture.

Attached Files:

9. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

You said you're still under AppleCare so things should be simple. You will get screen replacement, but less likely you'd get a unit replacement. All they need to do is replace your screen and that stain will be gone. Problem is those stains could come back in the future. I dont know for sure if it's dust deposition trapped or burn-mark due to excessive heat.

But this is a chronical problem. Most likely you'll run out of applecare once it come back again. Smart move by Apple, wouldnt u say :)

10. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

As others have said, you will get a screen replacement.

This is usually caused by excessive heat which in these machines is usually generated by the faulty hard drives Apple installed.

Another cause is the power supply.

Very common in the 09 iMacs.

Why is it that everyone thinks they have a shot at unit replacement?

11. leehal macrumors member

For me this will be my 2nd repair for the same fault. This involves being without my iMac for periods of time, expense to travel to the store for repair, inconvenience etc. If the same fault occurs for a third time I will demand a replacement!

12. shardey thread starter macrumors 6502a

shardey

That's why. This problem came about, around 3 months after buying it in March 2009.

I was just throwing the idea of a replacement for 2 reason. The 24" has been discontinued for over 2 years now, and also if they don't have the glass or lcd, then what would they do?

13. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

So I can assume this is not the first time you have stains on your iMac screen. From the image you posted earlier it seems your screen has so many stains on it.

How long since the first replacement that you realize your iMac screen has smudges again?

Do you hold up a long time before you decide to take in to Apple for this problem?

14. ezramoore, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

ezramoore macrumors 6502a

My bad, to both of you. I missed the part where you said this was the second occurrence of the same problem.

Apple's unofficial policy has been that you need to bring it in three times for the same problem before they will consider unit replacement.

I can guarantee that they have the parts to fix it still, they usually car about a 5 year supply. After that the part goes "Vintage" and the repair parts are only available to Californian customers or from a 3rd party.

If they did replace a 24" model it would likely be with a 27" model, as they are a direct comparison.

If it happens again (3rd time for both of you, I think) you can almost guarantee a replacement unit by calling 800 MY APPLE and complaining for a few minutes.

Remember that it is a soft and unofficial policy, and that they do not have to give you a new model (under any laws that I am aware of), but Apple has some of the best customer service in the world and their policies are usually very consistent.

I hope this information helps (maybe you already knew all of this).

15. shardey thread starter macrumors 6502a

shardey

I have never gotten this taken care of, so it's my first time. These stains or smudges you speak of pertains to the lcd, and not the glass. The glass stains from the inside are only visible when the lcd and backlight are off. The discoloration you see has to be from the heat. Im wondering if it was because I use to play games on it for periods of time.

Edit:The other person above my posting is the one who had the problem more than once.