Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

on the range...

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2020
Friendsville
I decided to take it easy on the original PS of this '09, so I'm putting a Corsair SF450 I had in the superdrive bay (overkill but whatever). Works great but I just did my testing with the 'PS on' jumpered to ground, and I'm afraid left to my own devices I'd wire it so it turns on but not off or some other stupid thing.

Could someone describe the 'proper' way to wire to the on/off button...or is it possible to do a mini-pixlas and tie into a couple/three wires of the 24pin that will switch it properly (and since that might be easier to get to than those little power switch wires/posts)? Thanks much....

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
image.jpg

on the range...

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2020
Friendsville
I appreciate that you're trying to help, but I don't think you understand who you're dealing with here. To me that diagram says find a 3 connector 12v relay (no clue part-wise, though yes I understand what a relay is), tap off a ground and a 12v send from the orig PS to the inputs of the relay, splice the output of the relay into the middle of a wire that goes between a ground post on the 2nd PS and I don't know where, and the 2nd PS will somehow turn on and off with the rest of the computer even though nothing is attached at P-ON.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Imho it is clear, simple and secure. Just need a miniature 12 Volt Relay. Plus a diode in reverse to kill coil current.

Get somewhere 12 volts from the Mac PSU - like from the outmost pins of the psu plug. Attach a 12 V Relay - and put the Relay closers to ground and pon of the 2nd PSU. Job done, 2nd PSU is switched on and off with the 12 Volts of Mac PSU.

And all can be attached in the odd drive bay.

No risk with high voltages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.