'09 Alum MacBook turns off when on battery power

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MeUnix, Aug 26, 2013.

1. MeUnix macrumors 6502

This just started happening recently: When I am using my MacBook (not plugged into the charger), it will sometimes just turn off. When I plug it back into the power supply, everything is good.

I'm assuming it is the battery (which I ordered a genuine Apple battery already), but any weigh-ins or suggestions would be helpful. Also, could it be something bigger than just a battery issue?

Thanks!

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

As long as it doesn't turn off while the power brick is connected, you're fine.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What is the battery charge level when it shuts off? Also, how many cycles are on it, and what is the battery health?

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of battery health and cycles and computer uptime, among many other things. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

For battery, power, or charging issues, you might try resetting the SMC.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. MeUnix thread starter macrumors 6502

I downloaded iStat Pro and I received the following information:
    Health: 6%
    Cycles:421

I knew I needed a new battery, but I didn't know it was that bad:eek:

Also, the battery charge level when it turns off varies, I've had it turn off on me at <50% and I've had it turn off on me at >90%

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep, definitely time for a new battery!

6. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

True, there was no aluminum MacBook introduced in '09. I've noticed that many refer to the aluminum MacBook introduced in Oct. '08 as an '09, perhaps because that's when they bought them. At any rate, I knew what the OP meant.

8. MeUnix thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, mine is a late '08 model but I accidentally typed '09 and didn't notice until I posted the thread. :p

9. MeUnix thread starter macrumors 6502

Just a quick question...

After I installed and ran iStat Pro, I reset the SMC and now my batterie's health says 90%...

I'm assuming that is an inaccurate reading considering it was 6% before I reset the SMC?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's certainly possible. Considering the wide fluctuation, you may benefit from calibrating the battery, to make the readings more accurate. Instructions are in the CALIBRATION section of the Battery FAQ I posted.

11. MeUnix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help! It is appreciated! :D

12. MeUnix thread starter macrumors 6502

After reseting the SMC, it seems that the random turn-offs have stopped. The battery life isn't good at all(2-2 1/2 hours on a full charge), but like I said I have another battery on the way.

Thanks for everyone's help and input on the situation!