'09 iMac and Yosemite?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by besler3035, Oct 21, 2014.

1. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

Got a 2009 iMac with 4 GB RAM. Anyone have a similar setup? If so, what's your experience with Yosemite?

2. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

I have a late 2009 iMac 27" with 12 GB RAM, runs Yosemite very well. I had some issues with Mail under Mt. Lion and Mavericks (slow retrieval and sending of emails, failure to retrieve mails unless you quit and relaunched Mail). These problems magically cleared up with Yosemite. This was a standard update-type install, not a "clean install".

The only issue I've seen so far is jumpy scrolling in Safari when the screen is magnified with the <control> <scroll up> function. Scrolling with the non-magnified screen or with a "text-magnified" screen or "smart-zoomed" screen (double tap with magic mouse) is fine and very smooth. Go figure.

On balance, very good performance with Yosemite.

I talked to an AppleCare tech rep today about another matter but took the opportunity to ask about 2009 Macs and Yosemite. He said no problem with his 2009 MacBook with 4 GB RAM.

I plan to update my wife's early 2009 24" iMac with 4 GB RAM to Yosemite tomorrow. Will try to remember to post here with results.