09 Mac Pro 8 core, 4 core, 08 2.8ghz

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hobes270, Mar 20, 2009.

1. hobes270 macrumors regular

Sooo lets start with this. I use a Mac for Adobe CS4 Master and Final Cut mainly. I am on a price limit. So would the 8 cores be a waste for me, in other words do I use all eight cores with those programs?

1. This is what I am looking at, either going with a 09 2.26Ghz with the ati 4870 and then getting like the $1599 MacBook, because it is crucial I need something portable. Now I know that macbook wont run final cut very well, but I will do that on my mac pro.

2. Or 08 2.8ghz 8 core with the ati 4870 upgrade kit and the nice macbook pro.

3. Or I was thinking of going with either an 09 quad core and a nice MacBook Pro

I mean or I could just go with the decked out macbook pro and use my LED 24" monitor.

I would like some opinions! I definitely need something portable, I don't have to run final cut on the portable but I have to be able to run the adobe on the portable. I know the macbook can handle that, I have tried it. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Of your proposed options, 1 or 2 would be best.

I would personally go with option 1 for future proofing reasons, but i'm pretty sure option 2 is better in the short term (6-12 months)

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Option 1 doesn't sound so bad, I run FCS on a 2.4ghz previous gen MBP and really the only thing taxing the GPU is Motion, and a few filters in the FCP.

Now on the portable side, are you looking for a pretty much complete on site capture / edit computer? Because and depending on what type of camera you use, your not going to be able to capture video on the Macbook due to lack of fire wire. But say you do all of your capturing at home on your Mac Pro, then have all of the files on a external drive and use the macbook as a way to get some editing done while on the road, this may be a pretty good option because as far as CPU, your only a hair slower the the mid line MBP.

But you have to consider which app you are going to use most in FCS, if your going to be using Motion a lot, then you way better off getting a MBP, but if your just cutting footage in final cut pro (or any other app besides Motion) then your only going to be taxing the CPU, in which the MB will be just fine.

Your case is a bit of a tricky one, but really i'd first figure out your portable needs then work from there because both Mac Pros are beasts as is.

EDIT: i'd stay away from the quad though just because it's neutered in terms of RAM, and it's roughly the same price as a octo 2008 MP.

4. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

5. hobes270 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea your right. I will mainly be using a camera with a usb connection. It is a Cannon GL2. Although I have never transfered video from the camera to computer using USB, only firewire, I dont know if it is much different.

So the high end macbook will run final cut studio fine then? I have never tried this. I will be using final cut about 80% of the time and motion about 20% of the time. Will it be ALOT slower than lets say the 2.66Ghz macbook pro?

6. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

hmmmm..... I don't think you can transfer video over USB. I thought the USB on DV cameras was for digital stills.

as far as power, because your only editing SD video, I don't see any problem with final cut running on a MB. Yes a 2.66 will be faster but at what cost to you? Would you rather be a bit slower on the road and a bit faster at home? or a bit faster on the road and a bit slower at home?

Also I would consider screen real estate, I found that working in final cut on a 15" was livable but yearned for more. Now imagine that on a 13" screen? BUT at what cost to you? because a 13" screen is far more portable than any 15" or even a 17".

You have a lot to think about my friend......

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Go with number 1.

You will be GLAD you've chosen the Nehalem in the long run. + the macbooks are more than capable portable machines.

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The GL2 uses USB only for photo stills. You still need the FW connection for video capture. That alone might be a reason to pony up for a MBP instead of a vanilla MB if you find yourself in situations where you need to capture on the road from time to time.

I wouldn't be so afraid of Option 2, especially what you can get a base 08 MP 2.8GHz Octo for, now that's it's end-of-life. I bought one through Apple business sales for $1,899! I added my own RAM, hard drives, etc. and I ended up with a real workhorse for under $3,000. It goes without saying that it's still a very capable machine.

9. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Holy be-jesus are those still available? I just tried the business section on apple.com and there was nothing there (or any difference in price)

Also what are the requirements to do this?

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

You have to go into an Apple retail store (call around first to make sure they're available). Ask for a business salesperson and say that you're looking to purchase a Mac Pro for your business. The salesperson will have you fill out a widget for some information (business name, address, email, etc.). Apparently, a business tax ID is not required because I wasn't asked - and neither were other people. See this thread.

I have a freelance video editing business with the proper credentials, so I don't feel the least built guilty. :cool:

The EOL pricing for the 2008 MP 2.8GHz Octo is $2,499 ($300 off original list). They take an additional $600 off with a business purchase. This is a smoking deal if you can find a store that still has one in stock.

11. rylin macrumors 6502

It's end-of-manufacture, not end-of-life.
    Biiiiiiiiig difference.

Other than that, I agree with your post.

12. Ploki macrumors 68000

id say 2nd too as adobe, last time i checked, dealt more with visual arts (macbook pro having a really noticable better screen quality and real estate).
    i dont give so much about screen quality, but real estate is really really useful when dealing with large projects

13. hobes270 thread starter macrumors regular

$1899??!! WOW, how could I pass that up! I just called my local store and they have a few left for the $1899. My mother owns a hair salon, will that count? What all do you need to set up a business account?

14. hobes270 thread starter macrumors regular

Sooo I think I am going to go with the 08 Mac Pro with the ATI 4870 card in it, with 6GB RAM, and adding a 1TB hard drive to it. Then I will get the 15" MacBook Pro with the 2.93Ghz Processor in it.

I think that is a better way to go then the 09 2.26ghz and then just a macbook.

15. dkbuilds macrumors newbie

16. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I think that would be your best bet as well.