Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I have an '09 Mac Pro, flashed from 4,1 to 5,1. Does anyone know if software update no longer supports this model and, if not, is there a hack that will allow the Mac Pro to be recognized by software update? Theoretically, the 5,1 flash should have eliminated differences between it and the 2012 but I get no updates available message on my el capitan system.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
What do you want? If you want Sierra, of course the system won't prompt you to update from El Capitan to Sierra. OSX only prompt you the revision update (within the same OS family), won't prompt you to install another OS (doesn't like Windows 10), to avoid unintentional system update that the user do not prefer.

If you want to install Sierra, just open Appstore, and download the Sierra installer, and then you can install it.
Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 22.51.48.jpg

Anyway, a flashed 5,1 can install Sierra and the coming High Sierra natively. No hack required.

Reactions: macmesser

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
If the Mac Pro is flashed to 5,1 you can install Sierra (or High Sierra beta) without any concerns.

You've already done the 'hack' with the 5,1 firmware upgrade.

leon771

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
Australia
If the Mac Pro is flashed to 5,1 you can install Sierra (or High Sierra beta) without any concerns.

I thought there were issues with no driver for the airport card in the 4,1 when going up to Sierra/High Sierra.

Reactions: macmesser

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
What do you want? If you want Sierra, of course the system won't prompt you to update from El Capitan to Sierra. OSX only prompt you the revision update (within the same OS family), won't prompt you to install another OS (doesn't like Windows 10), to avoid unintentional system update that the user do not prefer.

If you want to install Sierra, just open Appstore, and download the Sierra installer, and then you can install it.
View attachment 714614
Anyway, a flashed 5,1 can install Sierra and the coming High Sierra natively. No hack required.

Thanks for reply. That's good news.
[doublepost=1503829230][/doublepost]

Thanks.
[doublepost=1503829319][/doublepost]
I thought there were issues with no driver for the airport card in the 4,1 when going up to Sierra/High Sierra.
DOn't have one installed but will keep in mind If I do.
[doublepost=1503829426][/doublepost]
There are. But the key word is SOME. It breaks the BT and AP functionality on SOME 4,1 cMPs.

Lou
Thanks for reply. I'll make sure I install a compatible card if I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.