09 MBP GPU Failing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aegelward, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

This first occoured playing minecraft yesterday, but it quickly resolved itself..

But the Entire UI flickered, and flashed and generally glitched. now it's spread to the entire system, while watching a video the entire interface corrupted, and its happening with alarming frequency. Currently it's turned off hoping that cooling down would help it.

I guess minecraft is the cause, it pushes my system hard, thermally speaking, and i guess the GPU has finally taken heat damage. despite pushing fans high.

Forgive the lack of comprehension, but this is a little serious, it's out of warranty and I'm unsure if I could pay for repairs, Let alone replace it.

2. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

You can try running Apple HardWare test.

Put in the original install DVD that came with your MBP. Start up while holding down the "D" key (not C... but D for diagnostics). Then that will start up the hardware tester. Press "L" to let it run on a loop, and let it run for a couple of hours and see if it detects anything.

Also, to rule it out as software, startup from a different drive (or even that DVD) and see if you see the same issues..

I never had any image "corruption" on my late 2008 MBP, but I did have issues where the display would flicker a few times a day. I had to have the logic board replaced (I was covered under applecare though... which I'd definitely recommend getting in the future for any laptop, despite the fact that it'll set you back another few hundred)