09 MBP HDD/Power issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buildermatt, Jan 17, 2013.

1. buildermatt macrumors newbie

I'm going to attempt to make this as coherent as possible haha.

My gf has a mid 09 17inch MBP that she spilled chocolate milk on about a year ago. I decided to take a look at it to see if the beast was salvagable in any way. Taking everything apart and cleaning off the crusted milk, nothing really looked that bad. The keyboard was a little crunchy but that was probably the worst of it.

So like I said, I cleaned up the milk and put everything back together. It powered on but gave me the blinky file folder. Here's where it gets stupid.

I powered it off and tried to restart, but it wouldnt turn back on. After a bit of fiddling, I tried unplugging the battery from the logic board and plugging it back in. That seemed to make it start up again, but only the one time. I tried this several more times and eventually it just began powering on every time without me having to unplug and reconnect the battery ribbon to the logic board.

However, it still gives me the blinky file folder upon startup. I pulled the HD out and put it in an external enclosure and tried hooking it up to my PC, but the drive wont even power on. It sounds to me like the drive is crap.

To top it all off, the computer has begun to start only the one time, until I unplug the battery ribbon from the logic board again.

Is this thing a lost cause? Is the logic board fried along with the HD?

Please, please help.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Often liquid spills will ruin a laptop. Letting it sit with whatever corroding away at the components didn't help either.

I'd say its dead, but that's just me.

3. buildermatt thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd normally agree with you and let this thing go the way of the buffalo, but with the damn thing turning on after a good cleaning, I think I want to swap in a new hd and see what happens first. The "powering up one time and then not again until I disconnect and reconnect the battery connection to the logic board" thing is really what's baffling me though. Any thoughts on that?

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sell it on eBay, there is always somebody who think they can fix anything.