'09 MBP Heating Up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FireAttack37, Jun 1, 2011.

1. FireAttack37 macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 model MacBook Pro. The rear bottom, by the screen hinge, has recently started heating up to the point you don't want the MBP sitting on your lap without something under it.

Any ideas what would cause this?

2. FireAttack37 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Your fan is located towards the rear. My guess is your fan quit working. If you have any games, play them for 5-10 minutes and see if your fan kicks in.

4. xriderx11 macrumors regular

Please list the temperature ( you can use apps to check the temperature)

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

5. FireAttack37 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had the back part off it last night and the fan was working fine.

Got a link for one?

When I had the back off last night, the area getting hot was the mother board area.

6. GGJstudios, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  7. Shop, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

Shop macrumors member

My 09 13" MBP is running much hotter than it used to as well. I thought it was because I was watching lots of Flash content, but now just plain browsing is causing the fan to run all the time (when new, the fan only came on when playing a game or watching a HD video). I'll check out that temp program and see where it's at, but things have definitely gotten worse.

EDIT: After checking out iStat Pro, I noticed that a Google Chrome Helper task is using 90-100% cpu all the time. I'll have to look into that.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the fan is on all the time your Mac is on, at a minimum of 2000 rpm.

9. Shop macrumors member

Ok, that chrome helper task was my problem, and it was running even when chrome was closed... that could have been my issue for weeks :/ Killed the task and the fan started slowing down from full speed all the way to 1995 rpm.

GGJstudios: I think you are right, I guess I just couldn't hear it at 2000 rpm. Thanks!

After I fixed my issue, I looked around and see others with the same problem. If you are using Chrome, check into this.

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni