09 octad .. ram optimal configuration question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jetjaguar, Feb 19, 2010.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

im looking at moving up to 16gb of ram in the near future .. originally i was planning on going with 8x2gb sticks .. is this optimal or is there a better way to do and keep triple channel .. currently have 6x1gb sticks:confused:

2. dazey macrumors 6502

Try looking over at barefeats.com I believe their conclusion was that optimal is to keep the 2 pairs of 3 and not fill up the last two slots (so you would be better off with 3x4GB, 3x2GB). My memory is not infallible though so have a look for their research

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can even go 4,4,4, & 2,1,1 if you like, but you may not even notice any real difference between the maximum bandwidth of a triple channel setup and that of the dual channel interleave you get with 8 slots filled.

4. CCK macrumors member

When I was looking at getting an 09 this was a concern to me and if it's the same with the 2010's... Is this just OWC ram that there *special note refers to?

*Special note-
    4GB Module sets require that all installed modules be of the same kind OWC 4GB module (p/n OWC8566D3MPE4GB).

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

To keep triple channel you would need to go with 4GB modules in 6 slots. Or 2GB modules in 6 slots. Or mix the pairs to get to 16GB. You get the idea. Just keep it to 3 Pairs in 6 slots.

Something like two pairs of 2GB sticks with a pair of 4GB sticks will give you 16GB in triple channel configuration.

6. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Fill it with 2GB DIMMs and don't worry about it.

8. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

The bottom line: there is almost no benefit to using a triple channel config vs. dual. Fill up the slots, it will be cheaper and give you more memory/options.

9. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

Yup. Or 4GB ones.