09 umbp Scratch resistance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Panzo, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Panzo macrumors 6502

K real talk here, how resistant to scratches are these things? im caught obsessing every time it comes in contact with anything i have to inspect it carefully every time it ouches anything like the sidewall of my desk, i need clarification how scratch resistant are these things?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Sounds like you have OCD. It all depends on what type of thing it becomes in contact with. If you are real careful with it, you will less likely have any scratches on it.

3. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont mean to be a dick but you pointed out two things that are quite obvious, i might have an ocd, i like keeping things in perfect condition, and obviously if i take care of something chances are it will not get damaged.

Your input is greatly appreciated (if you didnt mean it in a smart ass type of way).

Can anyone provide some details like its pretty scratch resistance cuz i cheated on my gf and she so keyed it but it buffed right out, type of ordeal, you know something concrete?

4. cdover macrumors member

5. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

My logic tells me that an object which is less hard then aluminum shouldn't be able to scratch correct?

reassuring yet worrying, thanks for your feed back!

If anyone else would like to add in please do so

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

Get some help for the OCD, you'll be happier than surfing for reassurance on a forum can ever make you.

Or just get rid of the MBP and get something you don't mind scratching. It's just a tool.

7. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

IME with the 08 model, very scratch resistant. The new ones should not be a different coating. Mine survived 6 months with out a case or sleeve at college and still looks the the day I opened it from its pretty box. It was moved around on rough textured desks for 4 hours a day for 150 days, naked inside a backpack with loose change, random objects and the spirals on a notebook, and many times being on a pizza crust crumb and shoe dirt covered coffee table during a party where it was slid around as people watched fat people falling on youtube. Surprisingly, after all that, it got it's first scratch at the Apple store's Genius Bar about a week ago.

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

they do scratch like anything else.
    maybe not entirely easily...however ive noticed some scratching on mine, which i had no idea how they got there. as its used as a desktop mainly.

9. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

IMHO MBP's are quite scratch resistant. I was going to buy a Speck case with my MBP as I was afraid getting it scratched too. But as it turns out I've been using and transporting my MBP as normal and its still scratch free. Probably won't be like that forever, but it's surprisingly resistant. :eek:

10. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah its not my first unibody, i change them everyear they are quite scratch resistant, i think im just ocd or something i need to get ti checked out, i do remember once though, i was in the library and i put my macbook pro down on a breadcrumb that was dry, god bless that little sucker, must of been hard as a diamond made a niceeee long scratch on the bottom of my pre unibody mbp i was so pissed.

11. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

I know how you feel lol. I obsess in keeping my electronics or anything else for that matter as perfect condition as possible. I babied my Pre unibody MBP a lot and decided to get a Clear Speck case for it so I don't have to be on edge so much.

-Tony

12. klee1987 macrumors regular

I have a mid-09 13 MBP, I have to say it's pretty durable

the only thing I have to say is if you want to keep your macbook in perfect condition you'd have to be careful with inserting and removing the magsafe- I've already got a little dent in the corner of the magsafe port

If somebody trips on the magsafe the magnet can also do some damage...

so these are the two thing I would look out for.

13. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the feedback i didnt know the magnet could pose such a danger to the machine, in reality i always wondered if magnets and computers were such a great idea after all

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

The magnet should be okay, because the Macbook Pro's screen uses a LED technology, not an LCD. Anyways, after some close calls and finally a dent, I got a Speck case. You should check your jacket zipper or something, because it makes scratches like hell on the edge of the computer. Iron and steel is much harder then the aluminum exterior. The edge of the case is so scratched up, and there are several large gouges on the bottom. I have no clue how a stray paper clip did that, but it is one purchase that I have never regretted.

15. fireman13 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I agree you might need some help in this area. Life is much better not having to stress about things that don't need to be stressed about.
    They are pretty resistant to scratches assuming you use it in a normal way. Aluminum however is a soft metal so it is more susceptible to dents than scratches as evident from reading these forums.
    Once you get that first scratch out of the way, you won't stress of the rest of them anymore..........the hard part is overcoming that first one. its inevitable, it's going to happen. It will suffer some sort of imperfection throughout the course of its life.

16. phoang1988 macrumors newbie

i dont know about scratches but i already knicked my mbp on one of the edges... pretty soft metal to me :(

17. klee1987 macrumors regular

nah it's not abut the screen type, \but more about magsafe being attracted to port---- you have to line it up perfectly or you will scratch the area around the port. pulling it out can be kind of diffcult too since the area you can put your fingers on is very small(don't forget, magsafe is very fragile so you can't yank the cable). if you try pulling it out at an angle, you ll almost certainly do damage to the port.

don't forget, the magnet's steel, which is harder than aluminium so it will dent the machine on impact/scratch it when it's rubbed against it. It has already happen to me once when someone tripped over the cable - it hit the area above the magsafe port on the lcd( it was closed)......

I've already got a dent in the top right corner of the magsafe port.......but i've learnt how to live with it now lol