09MP Quad to 8 Core

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by s.m.t., Mar 14, 2010.

1. s.m.t. macrumors regular

s.m.t.

Was just curious what the upgrade path (if one exists) is going from the single quad core to the 8 core cpu. Can you purchase that cpu daughter board to add the second socket and dimm slots?

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Yes, that upgrade path should work. Dunno if anybody's tried it yet, though.

And you would have to buy two 55xx Xeons (dual-socket CPUs) as the CPU on the Quad is a 35xx Xeon (single-socket CPU).

3. asnozz macrumors member

asnozz

I thought the motherboards were different (more ram slots etc on the octo). presumably it doesn't have a socket for a second CPU (or does it?).

4. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I'm pretty sure you can't, unless you're willing to shell out just about enough money to buy a new 8 core.

Selling your quad to buy an 8 would be a much easier way to go.

Loa

5. grue macrumors 65816

processor tray, additional CPU, more RAM. Enjoy the financial pain, too.

6. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Don't forget the heatsinks, they are about $200 each IIRC. Someone posted a link to one of only sites selling these specific parts in another thread, and AFAIK the total cost of the process made it insensible.

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

The OP mentioned purchasing the octo's daughterboard

These. Its nuts, especially with what everybody's charging for parts.. Maybe in the future (4 years or so) it'll be worth it, but now, not so much.

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

The most cost effective route is to sell your quad and either buy a used or refurb 8 core.

9. s.m.t. thread starter macrumors regular

s.m.t.

Ha, yeah... I defiantly don't plan to do it any time soon. But it is technically possible which is what I was wondering. I didn't see it as a non BTO purchase on apple's site, so I didn't know if those parts were even sold.

Thanks for answering that. :)

10. gotzero macrumors 68040

On the 09s it would probably be cheaper to sell the 4 and buy an 8. The situation was different with 08s where the MBs were more or less the same.

11. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Won't the six core coming out fit in the 09 models? If so, swap it.

12. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Big if. Word on the street is that there's going to have to be a microcode update to run that CPU which Apple probably won't provide. Might even require physical changes on the mother/daughterboard, making even firmware flashing impossible.

EDIT - inserted link. Though the post is long, Fugger does mention a mobo requiring a hard modification for a board to work, and all need a firmware update.

13. sphoenix77 macrumors member

I have a 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon. Which quad cores would I have to purchase in order to make it an 8 core?

Also I heard if you upgrade the core you are stuck in 32 bit as opposed to 64 bit because of Apple firmware (and doubts they will ever update it). Any ideas??

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

Your system is older (2006 model), but these are Quad Core 53xx parts that would work in your machine (8 core total).

Your firmware is stuck where it's at now. There will be no update, as it can force users to buy newer systems. So you either upgrade your existing system and live with it, or get a newer model that has EFI64 based firmware ('08 or newer).

15. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

My advice: find yourself a used or refurb 08 MP.

Loa