0Kb files due to usb problem, how to remove?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wheaty, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Wheaty macrumors regular

Wheaty

Hello.

While copying files from my digital camera xD card onto my mini, the Card reader un-mounted itself and remounted its self several times, I have no idea why...

Now I have a load of 0Kb files in the folder where I was copying to. I can delete these, but they come up with a "file in use" error message so I need to click for each file to be deleted... ~350 left
    I did try a restart thinking that may clear up any "pending" file transfers from the system to allow them to be deleted like a normal file

1) How can I delete these quickly
    2)Any ideas what may have happened? Only Safari and Mail was on the go..

Screen shot attached that should better explain my file dilemma.

Cheers

Wheaty

Attached Files:

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Sort the files by size.
    Go to the first 0 kb file, click on it so it is highlighted.
    Go to the last 0 kb file, hold down shift and then click (they will all be highlighted now)

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

This would work, and if it doesn't allow you to empty the trash because they are in use. Try going to Finder>Secure Empty Trash as that usually works :)

4. Wheaty thread starter macrumors regular

Wheaty

Thanks for the replies.

I've obviously not been quite clear enough..

I am happy selecting multiple files/random files etc, and how to send them to trash either by keyboard command, or by mouse. And I worked out how to delete secure items but thanks for pointing it out, I may not have been... So..

Looking at my posted image, if I try an delete one, Or 101 of these files, the trash error box for "These items are in use" pops up. However I have to click "continue" for each individual file selected... not once for the whole batch... ie ~350+ clicks! :confused:

These files once deleted are not even appearing in Trash, so I guess the system is removing the referance as they are OKb anyway.

Wheaty

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you're careful and have only the files that you want to delete in the folder, then you could delete it using Terminal.
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf 
    Then drag the folder onto the terminal window after the text and it should show the correct path. Then hit return and enter your administrator password.

6. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Have you tried rebooting, then trashing them? That might be the simplest solution. If that fails, try running

Code:
    sudo rm -rf path/to/folder/*
    in Terminal.

7. Wheaty thread starter macrumors regular

Wheaty

Thanks Guys.

Forgot about the wonders of Terminal. Last really lived in it in the land of RedHat 5 :eek:

The wonders of the generic * saved my fingers from loads of typing.

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /Users/my folders/Photos/P7050*.JPG 
    Wheaty