0S 3.0. Pay a second time to upgrade a 2nd iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iMac430, Jun 16, 2009.

1. iMac430 macrumors member

Hey everyone, quick question.

My girlfriend has a 1st gen iPod touch with the 2.2.1 OS version on it. She is planning on buying the OS 3.0 upgrade tomorrow for $9.95.

In July she is going to buy her first Mac and get the free 8GB iPod touch (second gen) because she is a college student just as I am.

Question: If she buys OS 3.0 tomorrow and gets the 2G iPod touch in July, can she upgrade the 2G iPod touch to OS 3.0 for free since she already bought the upgrade? This of course is if the iPod touch 2G doesn't come with OS 3.0 already on it. Isn't the OS "upgrade" just stored inside of iTunes (upgrade / restore buttons)? Or does she have to buy the upgrade again for a second iPod touch? Thanks you.

2. marksandvig macrumors regular

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

only if 3.0 is released by then, July, when he is planning on buying

4. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

he's not talking about the new iPod Touch. he's talking about the iPod Touch 2g which most likely will not come with 3.0 since the iPod Touch 1g never shipped with 2.0

3.0 is being released tomorrow......

but to answer the original question, you most likely will not have to buy it again. just make sure you update it on the computer that you bought the update on. iTunes doesn't check to see if you bought it, it just checks to see if you have it. so if you have it on your computer you should be fine

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I've done it with my 1G touch then replacement touch. All you have to do is restore it and then back up from the backup from the 1G touch and it shouldnt be a problem.

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

If I were her, I would wait until September when the new iPod touch will be released.

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

But if you read the first post, the girl's getting the 2nd gen touch as part of the Back to School deal - which always ends just before the new iPods are released, so that wouldn't work ;)

I'm pretty sure she'd be safe. The purchase is tied to her iTunes account - when she goes to update her new iPod it should say "you've already purchased this item, click to download again for free". Basically, this is what happened with 2.0 as well; you can update as many iPods as you want and only pay $9.95 once, as long as they're all updated with the same account.

8. iMac430 thread starter macrumors member

I figured it would be tied to her iTunes account and so I just wanted to double check. She would like to her the features on her current iPod touch (1g) before she gets her new Mac and iPod touch in July or August. I wasn't sure if the shipping iPod touches would come with OS 3.0 or not, so that is why I wanted to check. I think I do recall being able to update a second iPod to OS 2.0 from the same computer. Thanks for the quick replies and information everyone.

9. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I was unaware that the Back to School deal ended then, makes sense though.:eek: