$1,000 Animoji Maker? ;-)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Sep 14, 2017.

1. willmtaylor, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

This gave me a chuckle this morning and largely rang true for me. YMMV.

There definitely seemed to be a juxtaposition between the first 10 minutes and the final 10 minutes of the keynote despite Apple’s reaching for a connection.

2. iop macrumors 6502

3. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

At times they aren’t mutually exclusive.

4. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

If you're going to troll then you need to try harder. It's a $1000 supercomputer that fits in your pocket, not a $1000 Animoji maker.

5. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Let’s be honest, it’s more like an $800 waste of a supercomputer.

Regardless, it’s ok to take things less seriously sometimes. We aren’t making fun of your firstborn.

6. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

I did think, when Craig was doing the animoji demonstration, 'is this what it's come to?'

I'm sure I wasn't alone.

7. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Is it cool? Yes.
    Are there other possibilities here? Sure.
    Was it bizarre as a tent pole feature in a $1,000 flagship iPhone? Uh, absolutely.

8. omelet1978 macrumors regular

That's one of the funniest videos I've seen in a while.

9. Diving Capers macrumors 6502

Diving Capers

iPhone X is many things, a super computer it isn't.

It doesn't matter how "powerful" the components are, it doesn't change the fact that it is a phone.

Yes it has the "capability" of performing many tasks, but at the end of the day it is an iPad with a small screen, just as iPads a iPhones with large screens.

So apart from being able to make "traditional" phone calls and use WhatsApp, the iPhone, when it comes down to doing "supercomputer" things, is worse than the iPad, and in turn the iPad is more limited than a MacBook. So... how is an iPhone X a supercomputer when for all intents and purposes it is inferior to a basic laptop?

Smartphones are great devices that DO have a place in a profesional work environment, they are actually almost a necessity. However it would be easier to get work done with a 1000 dollar laptop and a 10 dollar dumb phone combo, than with the iPhone X and a 10 dollar laptop.

Supercomputer? Really?

-------------

Now to the OP, that was funny and, scarily enough, not far from totally accurate.

10. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

I wonder whose idea was this. They put too much effort in emojis rather than in other areas.

11. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

12. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

Animojis are a byproduct of the technology required for their secure FaceID. If the sensors and technology are already there in the device, it only makes sense to come up with more than one feature that can utilize it.

13. willmtaylor, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

And the keynote presentation was a byproduct of Apple salesmen saying, “**** guys, we gotta think of more reasons to charge $1,000!” :p

Sadly, what we saw was the best of what they came up with. :cool:

14. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

There’s no point is going back and forth with you. You’re dead set on being negative. But I will say one thing. The Samsung Note 8 when released was $970 USD. A whopping $30 cheaper. As the industry and consumers keep demanding for more tech and features year over year, things are bound to cost more as these things start to cost a lot to manufacture (also with lower yield rates than previously)

Like it or not that’s just how these things work.

15. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Thank you for taking the time to explain to me how things work, senpai.

16. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

17. mnsportsgeek macrumors 68000

18. iop macrumors 6502

Well said! I feel that smartphone manufacturers often compete with processor specs (which do matter for mobile gaming), but having a moderately powerful processor doesn't magically turn a phone into a computer. It's not practical to do the usual computer tasks like sorting files, creating spreadsheets and typing long emails on a smartphone. When it comes to professional tasks, it's even worse. It's not possible to write code on a smartphone. It's not possible to install specialized software. There are too many restrictions with smartphones that preclude them from being categorized as computers.

19. pat500000, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017

pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

You know...after rewatching this, I wonder what our self-esteem level would be like....

20. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

A super computer? No, I’d agree there. However the fact that the A11 has the same computing power as a 2017 13” MacBook Pro in such a tiny form factor of an iPhone 8/8+/X is nothing to scoff at. The only difference in the kinda work one can do is the screen size limitation and input method.

21. Diving Capers macrumors 6502

Diving Capers

What Apple should have released as a 10th anniversary iPhone is something that runs MacOS (with an iOS skin) that can be connected to a display , keyboard and mouse.

If they had done something like this, then they would have a very good excuse to charge laptop prices for a phone.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2017 ---
    No one is saying the iPhone X isn't a powerful device, however it's standout feature is gimmicky, FaceID isn't faster and doesn't solve a problem, if anything it adds a step.

iPhone X, in my opinion, is the equivalent of buying (if it currently existed) a top of the line MacPro that could only be used for the most basic of tasks (Email, calendar, web browsing, chat and document viewing).

The iPhone X should cost 300 dollars less, have Touch ID and be notchless.

22. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

Your opinion is just that, your opinion, but how is FaceID a gimmick? It will change everything about secure authentication the same way TouchID did. It’s called progression. Every hands on video I’ve seen it is just as fast and IMO more convenient. The lock screen already offered two stages as of iOS 10. Locked and unlocked/ready to go to the home screen. For the reason of being able to actually view and respond to notifications without accidentally zipping past them directly into your home screen. It even inevertly brings back a feature many wished had never left. Which is “Swipe To Unlock”. Which will act as if your don’t even have any passcode or authentication active on the device. Because the moment you look at the screen it will unlock and be ready to swipe to home screen, seamlessly.

The industry and consumers demand more and more each year from companies to put in the devices. It’s a damned if they do damn if they don’t situation.

So an iPhone 8 is what you want then? You’re in luck, they offer pre orders for that currently and it will be available in 5 days.

23. pixel_junkie macrumors 6502

pixel_junkie

You do realize this technology has been in other phones for years, right? It's called "finally catching up to the competition". Not very well though because while the flagship iPhone (not yet released) gives you facial recognition, the competition gives you the same, plus iris scanner and fingerprint scanner in one device. Do you guys not look at the industry as a whole?

24. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

You mean the sloppy, lazy and poor implementation others offer such as Samsung’s? The one that can be fooled by a photo? Sorry but the two can not even be compared on the same level. One is secure and legit, while the other is practically a fake feature, providing false security and still requires the fallback of fingerprint for real security.

Apples version of facial recognition is on a level no other smartphone has achieved yet, plain and simple. It will be others that will catch up to them in this regard. Just like others had to catch up to Apple with TouchID. Because it was so far ahead of the same lazy effort others did with fingerprint readers prior to TouchID.

25. pixel_junkie macrumors 6502

pixel_junkie

Apple face ID failed AT THEIR OFFICIAL DEMO! Yup, super legit.