1.0TB Hard Drive Won't Boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alloutmacstoday, Jun 30, 2011.

1. alloutmacstoday macrumors newbie

I just got a 1.0TB WD Scorpio Blue HD for my MacBook Pro (15", mid-2009) (of course I did research beforehand to make sure the 12.5mm would fit), and it does fit. I used Disk Utility to restore my current hard drive to the new WD drive. Then I opened up my computer, and put in the WD, and tried to boot. Unfortunately, it gut stuck on the gray apple screen with the spinner. So I then booted off my install CD, and repaired disk permissions (there were none), and tried to verify disk. However, verify disk froze up. So I then booted up off my old HD (which was in a USB enclosure). After I booted I noticed that my WD hard drive wasn't showing up in disk utility OR system profile. So I took apart my computer again, and made sure the connection was secure, and tried again, but it still didn't appear. The funny thing is it must appear for a couple minutes (because it'll let me attempt to boot to it), but then it goes away. So I'm basically just asking if anyone has any clue what's going on?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. alloutmacstoday thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I was worried about that at first, but it is indeed GUID.

4. alloutmacstoday thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, just to be clear, it DOES boot from a USB external enclosure, it just wont boot when it's internal.

5. eron macrumors 6502

Boot to the 'install disc'. Go to disk utility, and try verifying, and repairing permissions on the 1TB disk.

6. alloutmacstoday thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done this, and it doesn't make a difference. When I verify it says the disk is okay.

7. alloutmacstoday thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update: I tried to boot it into Single User Mode, and at first, it said there was a read failure of mach_kernel, so I changed permissions, and got around that. But then when it completed it's stuff, and I typed exit, nothing happened.

Then I tried Verbose mode, and it kept on getting hung up at the line with "USBMSC identifier...". Still, whenever I try to verify the disk (when it's internal, and I'm on the CD), it literally disappears (not just my main partition–the whole disk). And I still cannot boot it. Is there any size limit or something with the MacBook Pro Mid-2009?