1.1.1 iPhone unlock????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tommoran, Oct 3, 2007.

1. tommoran macrumors member

I am reading a lot about moving back to a previous Firmware in order to continue using an unlocked iPhone.

My question is will 1.1.1 be hackable? Can we expect to be able to unlock 1.1.1 at some point?

Many thanks.

2. sJv macrumors regular

I am not part of the "dev" team, but from my point of view, I would not hold your breath. There are two things that have to happen:

1) Jailbreak - gives complete access to the iPhone's file system in order to make modifications - like add 3rd party apps.
    2) find a hole in the radio firmware to exploit.

There is still a long way to go to get to step 1. Keep in mind that it took folks over a month to get to step 2 AFTER step 1 was reached (which for 1.0.x was a matter of days). You can bet that Apple has tightened things up so that getting to step 2 will be far more difficult.

But hey - you never know. Wieider things have happened! :)

-steve

3. jlforester macrumors newbie

#2 could be replaced with "find out how the NCK is generated for each phone so that baseband firmware hacks aren't needed". Finding holes in the baseband firmware is more likely, I would think. If you know the phone's NCK, you wouldn't need to patch the baseband to allow any value to be accepted. There may be stuff I'm missing, but that's what I've been able to determine from the reasearch I've done, but I'm no expert on the subject. I'm sure if I've left something out, I'll be quickly corrected. :D