Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crandel

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
I am getting ready to buy an iphone and would really prefer not to upgrade to the 1.1.1 firmware immediately. My worry is that the iphone will come already upgraded.

Anyone have any info on this, whether or not the upgraded firmware is ever already preinstalled on the iphone? Has anyone who has recently purchased an iphone gotten one with the 1.1.1 upgrade preinstalled? I wonder if my chances of getting a non-upgraded phone would be better if I purchase one from at&t versus the apple store? Any ideas??

Thanks!

pab277

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
if you can manage to hunt out a 4gig iphone at an apple or at&t store, it will deff. not have 1.1.1.

now, if you plan to buy a 8gig, chances are they may have already upgraded them,. i dont know. but one way you could easily check is if the phone itself is 1.1.1 is the box it should come in.the iPhone box has a pic of an iphone on it with all the widgets present.

if you happen to see a wifi itunes store widget on the iphone on the box. it's 1.1.1

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
if you can manage to hunt out a 4gig iphone at an apple or at&t store, it will deff. not have 1.1.1.

now, if you plan to buy a 8gig, chances are they may have already upgraded them,. i dont know. but one way you could easily check is if the phone itself is 1.1.1 is the box it should come in.the iPhone box has a pic of an iphone on it with all the widgets present.

if you happen to see a wifi itunes store widget on the iphone on the box. it's 1.1.1

Nice tip!!

Algedon, did you buy online or in a store?

hotinplaya

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
I am in Mexico, my friend bought one for me on Tuesday, I had him buy at a small ATT store, hoping they did not have new ones in stock

As soon as i can reach him, I will have him check out the box.

here is my question, how can he check the software version, ?? I told him , to plug in, I thought it would be like an iPod or appleTV, where it would show him in the summary, but I realize you need to ctivate with ATT

is there another way,? My reason to bring it to Mexico is to unlock it, where can I learn about unlocking an iPhone with out using iTunes for activation

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
I am in Mexico, my friend bought one for me on Tuesday, I had him buy at a small ATT store, hoping they did not have new ones in stock

As soon as i can reach him, I will have him check out the box.

here is my question, how can he check the software version, ?? I told him , to plug in, I thought it would be like an iPod or appleTV, where it would show him in the summary, but I realize you need to ctivate with ATT

is there another way,? My reason to bring it to Mexico is to unlock it, where can I learn about unlocking an iPhone with out using iTunes for activation

READ, pab277's post. It's in english.

hotinplaya

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007

THANKS FOR THE TIP!!

I had my friend check out the box, and it does not have the new purple icon, just the 4 along the bottom, and the rest up top.

Does anyone know if this is a sure way to tell?

and can anyone give me a link, where I can find out how to go about unlocking, I know where to find the unlock software, but I do not know how to go about doing the unlock, add ?app tap?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.