1.1.1 shipped

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by robertma1, Oct 4, 2007.

1. robertma1 macrumors member

My touch shipped with the latest update. Blacks are so so. I am curious to try the 1.1.1.0 firmware. Anyone got a link to download so I can shift click the restore?

Update:

Heres how to downgrade to the original firmware.

1. Download the official old firmware - http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...0070910.N8uyT/iPod1,1_1.1_3A101a_Restore.ipsw

2. Hold the Shift key down when you click Restore in itunes and point it to the firmware you downloaded

2. DeXtA macrumors member

I don't know why you would want it downgrade. It's not like the iPhone where you can use 3rd party apps. I would stick with the new update, it had the contrast issue solved and everything :)

3. robertma1 thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I do not want to hack it. I just wanted to compare the screen contrast / blacks with the old firmware.

I found http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...0070910.N8uyT/iPod1,1_1.1_3A101a_Restore.ipsw

I downloaded and shift-clicked restore. It worked just fine. It seems a little different in a better sense. I think I may stay on the old. I have a week 38 just bought at BB.

I had a lot of problems with iPhone screens recently and gave up. One phone was a perfect screen with other issues. This touch is not as good as that one but it's just about good enough. I will watch occasional videos on it but stick with my laptop on the airplane. Blacks are just tough to see. Again the older firmware looks better to me.

4. robertma1 thread starter macrumors member

More information -

I did a few more critical minutes of watching FireFly and Battlestar. I do like the older firmware better, but only slightly. Not enough to stop me from updating if an email app update came out.

I still think its the reflective coating or something along those lines. If I tilt the pod up on the right side so the angle of the left side is back it looks dead on. Viewing straight on appears how I would expect on the angle. Tilting in the opposite direction makes it worst where you cannot even make things out.

This is not unusable though. The product is so good I will live with it. It just seems Apples screen suppliers are a mess.

5. robertma1 thread starter macrumors member

Can someone here rename this thread to something like "Steps to restore touch original firmware"? Someone else may search for how to do it. I do not think it's against apples rules since they included the shift-click restore option and there's no mods going on here.

I would rename it if I could.

6. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

What week is it? A 39?

7. robertma1 thread starter macrumors member

It's a week 38.

It's so close to being perfect... I wish I had some other touches to compare if it's as good as it gets.

8. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Theyre definitely shipping with the new firmware. Typing on mine right now. Week 37 w/ perfect screen. Canadian touches do have a different product #, so I dont know but it is perfect in every aspect.

9. SemajBand macrumors newbie

Update:

I tried the shift-click on my Powerbook with Leopard. No luck. I found out option-click does the trick. Maybe a Mac thing? Or a PPC thing? I dunno. Just a heads up.