1.1.1 update to 1.1.3 bad idea?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by ricecook, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ricecook macrumors regular

ricecook

i have a jailbroken 1.1.1 been on that sense i got it..
    now here my questions ?

1.how would update to a jailbroken 1.1.3?

2.will i be able to keep all my work i did to my 1.1.1?

3.will have to update to 1.1.2 first?

4.do i have to restore my ipod touch first back to normal 1.1.1?

5.what i tunes do i need? i have the latest one..?

what steps do i need to take? or just stay on 1.1.1 for now?
    also if i update to 1.1.3 jailbroken do i have redo all my apps i install and will custom icons work on 1.1.3?

havent mess with my ipod touch in like 3 months now so im clue less..

2. wheatie macrumors newbie

I'm in your shoes too. I never messed with 1.1.2 jailbreak, but want to update to 1.1.3.

go to www.ijailbreak.com

They have created a route to upgrade from 1.1.1 jailbreak to 1.1.3 jailbreak via a simple Installer app program.

I'm doing it now. It seems like the simplest way to go. If it doesn't work I'll just go back to 1.1.1 and jailbreak via jailbreakme.com and stay there till I decide to go to legit 1.1.3 or see how the 1.1.4 looks.

It can't hurt, check it out.

3. ehsteve23 macrumors member

1. i used iJailbreak, just download the app, plug in the iPod and follow the instructions.

2. i'm not sure, as i downgraded, and jailbroke without installing apps upgraded.

3. you don't have to...i didn't

4. No, it has to be jailbroken, if you already are, then you're set

5. iTunes 7.6 is fine

I'm not sure about custom icons either, i think you can get SMB to work, but you might have to do something to prepare for it.

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

why? theres nothing hard about the jailbreak, install oktoprep in 1.1.1 jailbroken touch then update via itunes to 1.1.2 official and then run the 1.1.2 jailbreak which is here: http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/site/112jb.html, if in windows run the bat file or mack the java file, let that do its thing and when its done the touch will reboot a couple times and your ready for 1.1.3 jailbreaking

5. frikkyco macrumors member

1.1.2?

Ok, I see all these posts about getting 1.1.2 firmware. I'm not stupid, but I can't find it in iTunes. And every time I connect the Touch, it wants to download 1.1.3

I've gone to ijailbreak to get that upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3, but I'm wondering now how I upgrade the official Apple firmware without wiping everything out after I've jailbreaked it to 1.1.3? Does this make any sense? It doesn't tell you to upgrade the firmware anywhere, so what do I do?

6. mikeinmontreal macrumors member

I think iJailbreak works best if you factory restore and then go Jailbroken 1.1.1 to 1.1.3. At least it did for me. When I tried to go from 1.1.2 Jailbroken to 1.1.3 Jailbroken with Apps using Installer, I could never get the Apps no matter which Repo I used. So I downgraded to 1.1.1, jailbroke that with Installer, and went straight to 1.1.3 Jailbroken plus Apps with iJailbreak. When I tried on wife's Touch, I had a hard time using iJailbreak to go from 1.1.2 Jailbroken to 1.1.3 Jailbroken plus Apps. My 2 cents.

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

doesn't iJailbreak use the iPhone firmware though?

8. mikeinmontreal macrumors member

That I am unsure of. But everything works for now. Just wish I could sync my mail accounts through iTunes. Maybe you can with the Touch firmware. I will downgrade tonight and try another method.

9. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

To go up to 1.1.2 you need to click 'alt' when you select the 'update' button in iTunes. This will allow you to browse to the file you want to use for the update, which means you need to download it if it's not already on your machine (will end in something like ...restore.ipsw).

For what it's worth, I've done the upgrade several times now using about 5 or 6 different methods all with varying results. Because "reloading" my 16 iPod with music etc doesn't take that long, I always start with a completely wiped 1.1.1 baseline. What I've done is this:

Restore to 1.1.1
    jailbreakme.com to install appsnap
    Install 'ok to prep' in the tweaks 1.1.1
    Alt-click update to 1.1.2
    Run jailbreak.jar
    Now that I have itunes 7.6, the iPod won't come out of recovery so I use to iNdependence 1.3 Beta 2 (for OSX) and this works well to get me running again.
    The update the installer.app, install BSD as well
    Now it's a clean jailbroken 1.1.2, ready for any method you choose to go to 1.1.3. The method http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=422278 is the best I've seen so far because I don't see how I could run into so many other permission problems, space problems, etc with a practilly virgin jailbroken iPod.

The method I linked to missed one step (or I missed reading it). When you are jailbroken in 1.1.3, there is an app in there (if you add applerepo.com to your sources) that is called something like 1.1.3 app springboard fix. Install that and then boom, wiggly icons, Map locator, and safari weblink bookmars. All worked terrific.

Problem for me is that I often would install a few things I knew worked under 1.1.3, then after trying to install a few more, Installer stopped working altogether. I've read it's a space issue and I can remedy that with BossTool so I probably will give it a go this weekend or when I hear more things are worked out. In the meantime I'm back to 1.1.2 with Summerboard and not really missing the new features much.

But I think it's worth a shot, I've gotten starting from scratch and getting up to 1.1.2 jailbroken down to a science taking less than an hour. Remember, you can ALWAYS go back if you F it up.

10. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

To use the jailbreak program you have to have iTunes 7.5 or lower (on my Mac anyway), and no, it's not another urban myth, I did the 1.1.2 jailbreak fine at christmas with the old iTunes, tried it yesterday and no good :/

11. frikkyco macrumors member

ijailbreak 1.1.1 to 1.1.3

Well, successfully upgraded from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 using the ijailbreak's mobile installer. I'd suggest not doing it because while it left the Installer on it, everything else was wiped out. Summerboard isn't even available for 1.1.3, so in my mind, it's pointless right now and I'm pretty frustrated that I have to do everything again. Don't use the mobile installer from ijailbreak! My opinion.

12. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Ah all of the methods at the moment are like that.
    On losing your apps, did you use either Boss Tool or the manual method to relocate the apps folder? If you did, if you run Boss Tool again then all of your apps will return.