1.1.2 "Insider Information"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alexdudman, Nov 4, 2007.

1. alexdudman macrumors member

Quote UK iPhone Review: http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/communications/mobile_phone/first-look-at-uk-iphone

However, did uncover a nice piece of insider info: If you've signed up to an o2 contract before 18 Sep 2007, you can break it and jump onto an iPhone plan without incurring any leaving or contract-moving costs. You'll be able to keep your old handset too. Result.

What exactaly does this mean?
    Can users put an o2 contract SIM into the iPhone and expect it to work?
    The phrasing is quite perculiar :confused:
    Any ideas?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

My understanding is that they're merely waiving the contract cancellation fee (£219 I think I read somewhere?) you would normally incur by having to cancel your existing contract to start a new iPhone contract. And you won't have to give back your old phone that you received as part of the original contract deal. Not that you'll be using it yourself once you get that iPhone in your hands...

3. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

this is old news, heres a copy off the O2 website

Existing Customers
    You'll need to start a new 18 month minimum term contract and pay for your iPhone handset but you can keep your existing number. So everyone will know it's you when you call them to brag.

If you were an O2 customer or upgraded on or before 18th September 2007
    You can switch to an O2 tariff for iPhone without paying any remaining monthly charges on your existing contract.

If you joined or upgraded after 18th of September 2007
    You have a choice, you can either:

(i) Enter into a second pay monthly contract whilst keeping your existing contract; or

(ii) Start a new contract by paying a one-off transfer charge of £219 instead of the remaining monthly charges on your existing contract.

O2 Simplicity and O2 Pay & Go customers will not be required to pay any additional charges.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iPhone-Availability.html

4. spinstorm macrumors 65816

I wonder if like in the US if you fail the credit check for the contract - maybe on purpose by entering incorrect information - if you can use the iPhone as a payasyou go phone?

Also although T3 claim that the TIFF jailbreak does not work - I do wonder if non TIFF based jailbreaks would still work - for example independence on mac?

It will be interesting to find out on Friday - I already have a US iPhone that I hacked but I would love UK regional settings so I would definately be tempted to upgrade my iPhone as long as I can re-activate it!