Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Hi there everyone!

I guess quite a few people are having a number of errors.. but one that hasn't really been talked about for the newest update is that I'm getting a 1602 error when trying to update the file normally and a 1604 error when trying to restore my iPhone!

Someone on here had this and said they were speaking to apple on the phone?

Anybody got any ideas or anything?

I've tried restarting the computer, changing USB ports etc.

Dominic.

Phatzer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
Mine returned an error after 1.1.3 update, restarted and came up with the iTunes logo. Plugged it in and tried restoring to original settings, but I get an error 6.

Trying a few things now. The phone is not unlocked or jailbreaked, totally legit. I'm on the £35/month o2 contract in the UK.

domness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I'm the same.

Not jailbroken, not unlocked, i'm on O2 UK £35/month.

I've tried so much!!!

EDIT - I'm even trying to redownload the software, firmware etc. I've done everything! (I now just need a second computer...)

Phatzer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
OK I'm trying everything suggested by Apple's web site, if it works I'll let you know. If not, it's a call to Apple tomorrow!

Phatzer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
Just a suggestion, I'm re-downloading the update again. If you have a good connection (unlike me) you might be able to find out before me if it works...

Close itunes and disconnect iphone.

Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates\

Drag any files (they will be hidden) in here to your desktop for the time (in case you need them)

Start iTunes again, turn on iPhone (weep at the iTunes logo on the screen), plug it back in.

This time, the restore process will throw up the 1.1.3 info screen and download it again.

It might work this time, let's hope!

Phatzer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
Hmm, the only other thing they suggest is making a new user account in Windows, logging in to that, and try restoring then.

PupnTaco

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
I was able to get past the "can't restore" by connecting directly to the USB (eliminating the dock) and restarting - but now it says "no wi-fi".

I'm off to the Apple Store for a replacement.

Phatzer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
Well mine is an error (6) although it seems closely related. Again, I'll continue to mention that my phone is completely legitimate. Very disappointed, I hope this gets fixed pretty quickly.

domness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I'm going to see tomorrow if I can use someone elses computer to update it.. MAYBE that will work. But its a shame I can't just fix it with a simple restore or reinstall.

I'll reply with any outcomes to help anyone if I do ever get it sorted out.

Malakas07

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
hmmm. just got home to update my firmware. Got the same 1602 error.

Restarted and retried. No go. :(
Rebooted and retried. No go. :(

Totally legit iPhone. Never been Jailbroken.

Also seems as if iTunes is having a real problem finding my phone as well. Put it in it's doc. iTunes takes forever to find it. Once it does iTunes displays " Syncing" but looking on my iPhone it shows no activity.

gazzzmoly

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
i got this message first time round i unpluged the phone pluged it back in and then manually select the file by pressing down apple clicking update at the same time

1-1-1

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I also got the error 6 and this did the trick to fix it thank you so much
Just a suggestion, I'm re-downloading the update again. If you have a good connection (unlike me) you might be able to find out before me if it works...

Close itunes and disconnect iphone.

Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates\

Drag any files (they will be hidden) in here to your desktop for the time (in case you need them)

Start iTunes again, turn on iPhone (weep at the iTunes logo on the screen), plug it back in.

This time, the restore process will throw up the 1.1.3 info screen and download it again.

It might work this time, let's hope!

spe499

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I was receiving the 1604 on one computer and 1603 on another. After spending 2 hours trying to update the firmware and following all the apple support guides I had no luck. The only thing that worked was moving my iphone to another computer and upgrading the itunes to 7.6 . I don't know if it truly made a difference but I also restarted the Apple mobile service after I upgraded itunes. I truly believe this is a software related issue with itunes. I just hope with future upgrades they can work this "bug" out.

domness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I'm going to call apple and see what they say.

Or I may try my hardest to remove any existence of iTunes which seems impossible.

EDIT - I think I've finally cracked it!! What I did was try to restore it a million times. Restarted my computer.. did a CHKDSK (but don't think any of this did anything). I then turned my iphone off and turned it on into Recovery mode! First time it didn't work.. but I clicked restore and chose the 1.1.3 file to restore with. Then finally the iPhone went to a blank screen with the turning/loading thing at the bottom and the recovery went through!

Phatzer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
I took my dock, connector and phone to work, downloaded iTunes, connected, downloaded update. Took about 5mins, but it worked :D

WOOOOO WIGGLY ICONS N STUFF!

domness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I took my dock, connector and phone to work, downloaded iTunes, connected, downloaded update. Took about 5mins, but it worked :D

Haha, congrats mate! :D

Guess we've both go it sorted now! Yeh, I love the wiggly icons too. It kinda reminds me of being drunk or on some other substance :p

The only bad thing is when the next upgrade occurs, I reckon we both will have to do the same thing to update once again.

I just made sure I backed everything up and did a hard reboot and then finally restored. Mine usually went into restore mode once I had tried to update or restore.. But starting it in Restore Mode myself seemed to do the trick!

If anyone has any more problems we will still be here to answer them! :):apple:

jbommelje

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008

that seems to be the trick. i couldn't figure out why i got these errors when i have an un-hacked phone. i updated itunes thinking that it would fix it, but it didnt. i then tried to update the phone on a different computer and it worked just fine after it restored. then i connected it back into my normal computer to get the back up.

so everyone else with the problem, try to do it on a different computer.

murf'n'surf

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2007
that seems to be the trick. i couldn't figure out why i got these errors when i have an un-hacked phone. i updated itunes thinking that it would fix it, but it didnt. i then tried to update the phone on a different computer and it worked just fine after it restored. then i connected it back into my normal computer to get the back up.

so everyone else with the problem, try to do it on a different computer.

Been there, done that......still no shakey shakey icons!!!!:confused:

Are you guys sure that Microsoft didn't buy out Apple??????????:mad:

Malakas07

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
i got this message first time round i unpluged the phone pluged it back in and then manually select the file by pressing down apple clicking update at the same time

I tried this last night. Worked perfectly but after the update my iMac froze up with the spinning beachball. Rebooted and all is well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.