1.1.3 and beyond...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by frikkyco, Feb 9, 2008.

1. frikkyco macrumors member

I appreciate all the handy guides to jb a touch. However, most, if not all, require downgrading to 1.1.1 and then following a series of items to get to 1.1.2 and then to 1.1.3

That's all great, but what happens when Apple's firmware is at 1.1.9? Or further down the road on the 40th upgrade? Will everyone that gets a new touch have to downgrade to 1.1.1 and then move up? If so, what a pain.

To jb 1.1.1, it was incredibly simple. I did it using my touch in the kitchen drinking a beer. Thanks to those who did it. .

Isn't there, or will there be a jb method for 1.1.3 or 1.1.9 (or...) that won't require step after step? Or am I dreaming? I realize the sdk will hopefully be released, but i"m unsure what that will actually do for us that want all the cool stuff.

Thanks for any opinions or suggestions, I was just wondering if anyone was thinking of the future instead of backing up to 1.1.1 each time.

2. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

The only reason the latest jailbreaks have had to be 'upgrade' jailbreaks is because there has been no hole or vulnerability in the firmware. The Safari TIFF exploit was perfect for the jailbreaking in 1.1.1 but since then it's been a lot tighter ship and so there has been no 'native' way to jailbreak. However, as new features and functions are added there are bound to be a few holes that could be exploited, but, no one can be certain.

3. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Like frikkyco said, we need 1.1.1 in order to do the initial jailbreak. By the time we get to 1.1.9, there will probably be a jailbreak that cuts out the middle steps. I know of one jailbreak method (not the official one) that goes directly from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3. There is no reason why there couldn't potentially be a jailbreak that goes from 1.1.1 to 1.1.9 too.

4. Anderzander macrumors member

I think I read somewhere that an actual crack had been found for 1.1.3, rather than a soft-upgrade, but it was being kept back until the SDK was released.

Hopefully that's true and we can have the full 1.1.3 firmware on our IPT.

5. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

That's what I read aswell :)
    The current 1.1.3 JB is just a stop gap I think.

6. frikkyco thread starter macrumors member

1.1.3?

Chrisbeebops...Someone wrote a post to an earlier question I had. She had steps, I think 7 or so, that would jb my 1.1.3 firmware by downgrading to 1.1.1, jb'ing, etc. She said voila'! You now have a jb'd 1.1.3 touch. I thought downgrading to 1.1.1 would remove any other upgrads, including the 20 bucks I spent on Apple's mail/maps, etc. apps. Will I lose everything and have to start from square one or is there a method to keep the apps and wiggly icons after jb'ing the 1.1.3 via 1.1.1 downgrade? Thanks! I hope that made sense.

7. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

As discussed countless times, if you buy the $20 update, jailbreak and then return to normal 1.1.3, iTunes will recognize that you have already bought the update and re-apply it.

8. frikkyco thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Slip. I didn't find a thread that said what you did, so, thank you.

9. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Good stuff, sorry for sounding like an obnoxious member ;)

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

actually this never worked for me. it just gave me some 8### error... and woldnt sync over the apps., had to do it manualy, but i can be done.

11. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Ah OK, I was just repeating what was on the grape vine, I personally haven't bought the update ;)