1.1.3 and TV Out via old cables?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by joshysquashy, Jan 24, 2008.

1. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Apparently, the 1.1.3 iPhone update enables TV output via either the old AV Cables or the old Universal Dock's S-Video port. This is what I heard on iLounge.

Can someone confirm this, also photo's would be great! I can't update yet, until they jailbreak it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

that might be the only thing that would make me unhack mine...

3. jeffmc macrumors 6502

i doubt it, that cable is fairly specific to the video ipods, the classics don't function with it either. i don't believe the phone itself has the hardware to use such a cable.

4. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

I can CONFIRM that this works.
    I tried it with my un-jailbroken iPhone running version 1.1.3. At first it gave the "This accessory is not made to work with iPhone" screen, I clicked no, then went to my iPod section, went into Videos played Serj Tankian's Empty Walls video, and walla it worked. I used it via the S-Video connection because I dont have the old video out cable.

I have the old dock, the one with the stain mark on it and I have the new dock the morse code one (black thingy on front). The new one only works with my Apple AV cable (the one with the USB and 3 cables) and the old one works with S-Video. I must say I am pretty pleased now.

=]

5. joshysquashy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for checking that out! Great news that Apple is easing up a bit with all the intentional crippling! This is a good move.

6. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

can you provide a link please? thanks!

7. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

That's pretty cool. The Agent 18 case comes with a dock insert for the iPhone for the old dock too. I'll have to try this later

8. jeffmc macrumors 6502

i'm talking about the three band 1/8" cable, any output to the dock connector should work from 1.1.1 and after

9. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Umm no it didnt. Before it would only show video our through the new AV cables that apple sold or through the new universal dock attached to the AV cable. 1.1.1 didnt allow video out through the old dock like the new 1.1.3 allows. How do I know this? I own both universal docks and the AV cable. The regular out cable (the old video out cable that apple sold) is still not compatible because the headphone jack is missing some connectors that allow this to be possible.

10. joshysquashy thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you look at the headphones that came with your iPhone, you will see that it uses all the connectors - one is used for the microphone. In theory that could also output video, but it would need some way of knowing when to do this.

So it isn't missing connections, but maybe it wouldn't be easy to implement this.

11. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

true but I really doubt Apple will allow you to use a $20 dollar cable compared when they can sell you a $50 dollar cable. More money for them.

12. yescurvyswab macrumors member

Thank you so much! I was ready to sell my a/v connection kit to buy the new one, until I chanced upon this thread. So I broke it out, and it does indeed work! I'm using the dock with the 3 connector cable. I haven't heard any interference yet with airplane mode off, and it works with youtube :) now I don't need an apple tv

13. CaptainMayhem macrumors newbie

Sonic Impact Video-55 and Iphone???

So if the Iphone v. 1.1.3 video out works with the old Universal Dock, does it work with any other accessories, like the Sonic Impact Video-55??? Anybody try this?

Thanks

14. heftylefty macrumors newbie

can someone please link me to the cable or kit I need to do this? I really wanna see how well it works!