1.1.3 downgrading does horrible things.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by witchdrash, Jan 15, 2008.

1. witchdrash macrumors member

Well my iPod Touch doesn't work when I tried to downgrade from 1.1.3, could just be me being unlucky, but the only way to get my ipod back to "working" order is to install 1.1.3, so I guess I'm stuck with a normal Touch (without the decent apps!) until someone more clever than I am comes up with a work around, but just a warning, if you felt like taking a look don't bother it really isn't worth it.

Ash

FYI: It errors out halfway through the restore leaving the Touch in restore mode (fortunately), I have downgraded this from 1.1.2 without problems, so prior to 1.1.3 I knew it was possible (damn my curiosity :))

2. California King macrumors 65816

3. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

actually just seeing them wiggling was worth every penny of $20

4. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

You wouldn't be the first guy to have spent $20 just to watch something wiggle. :D

5. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

1.1.3 is a free upgrade, the extra apps are $20, correct?

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Kore Ecked

7. PS3Player macrumors newbie

PS3Player

LMFAO

8. witchdrash thread starter macrumors member

1.1.3 is free and separate from the apps, which iTunes is now hassling me every time to buy *sigh*

9. toxicbomber macrumors 6502a

Seconded. :D

Edit: OH CRAP I DIDN"T KNOW WHAT YOU MEANT. LOL

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Reports I've seen indicate that you don't get the Springboard update free with the 1.1.3 update either, only if you pay $20 for the other apps. Could be wrong, but that's the early reports I heard.

11. Fofer macrumors 6502a

There isn't a "don't ask me again" checkbox?

A few days ago I saw BigBoss had released a tool to block 1.1.3 from installing. (Something about tricking the device into thinking 1.1.3 was already installed... it was called "1.1.3 Fix.") I'm not seeing that tool on Installer anymore, so perhaps it's been removed. Anyone know?

In the meantime, one could try to "fake out" the version number on your jailbroken iPhone/touch to think 1.1.3 is already installed, by SSH'ing in and changing the /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist file so that it reads 1.1.3.

Screenshot from another forum:
    [​IMG]

I wonder if that's enough to "trick" iTunes into not trying to get you to update?

12. delude macrumors 6502

That is interesting...I wonder if somebody would test it? Anybody got £12($20) to spare? Try changing the name of your firmware, and buy the applications. If they install then woohoo!

13. Fofer macrumors 6502a

No, no, no.

The only reason I am mentioning the "fake 1.1.3 string" would be to prevent iTunes from nagging you about the new update. Perhaps to protect you from accidentally updating...? (In which case, of course, you'd lose your jailbreak and all your customizations and 3rd party apps.)

(I've now learned that there's a "Don't Ask Me Again" checkbox in iTunes when the update alert comes out, so this point is really moot.)

THAT SAID, I am reasonably positive that you will need the "actual, offically installed" 1.1.3 in order to install the $20 apps.

But really, other than Google's "locate me" feature, why would a jailbreaker care? We've already got those apps installed, anyway.

1.1.3 is required to be able to watch the new movie RENTALS though. That's separate from the apps purchase, and it's free. But of course, that wipes out the jailbreak. So it's up to each person to decide if that's a price they are willing to pay.

14. delude macrumors 6502

Ah...I see now :D

Much like back when I used to hack my PSP you could disable the update option so that you could stay on the hacked firmware without accidentally selecting it, or getting messages etc.