1.1.3 is due out when?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThomasShaped, Jan 1, 2008.

1. ThomasShaped macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

When is the 1.1.3 firmware due out? Is it February with the SDK? Just so I know whether to update or to hang on with my unofficial apps.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

More than likely within the next 2 weeks (On, or before Jan 16)

Expect either 2.0 or 1.2 with the SDK sometime in Febuary.

It's hard to give an exact time of the month, but until we find out the status of the SDK, it's up in the air. But Macworld will probably hold more answers.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

1.1.3 will be released on 1/6/2031 (for those that have experienced the iphone clock bug) :)

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Whered January 6th come from? We dont even know if there will be a 1.1.3 update, still speculation and rumor for now. I hope it comes soon...

5. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

6. skeen macrumors 6502

Speculation and rumor? You'd have to be a conspiracy theorist to not acknowledge the 1.1.3 update by now! How much more proof could you possibly need?

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I found it here:

http://tinyurl.com/pnzh2

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

hahaha wow you dont have to be like that dude. I didnt catch the fact that you were talking about 2031. I was thinking today is the first tuesday in january.

9. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday.

You had to ask?

10. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

Tuesday January 15, 2008. also expect additional details of iPhone SDK on this day.

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I think it's possible 1.1.3 won't see the light of day, as is. I'm hoping for a much bigger update around Feb (along with SDK availability and a few 3rd party apps).

12. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I'm hoping within the next two weeks. But only Apple knows.

13. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

Do we have to do anything to receive an update, or will it automatically download onto our phones?

14. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

update through iTunes.

15. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

Ah of course. Doh

16. aneftp macrumors 68040

Does the next firmware update for the iPhone even matter? Unless, they are adding "useful" features which are "free" I couldn't care. I do not use MMS, I do not send multiple text messages to everyone.

I just want slingbox, but doubt it will be release before the next generation iPhone comes out sometime in the next 12 months.

I do not consider the WiFi store, ringtones as essential. The iPhone is stable, occasional safari crashes, but stable nevertheless.

17. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Well Locate Me should be useful for people. Unless a person never leaves the house.

18. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I am guessing it will be released the day of the MacWorld keynote. This makes sense because Jobs can have someone from Google there to explain the new map system. Also it will work because he can publicly explain how to use some of the new features that are added in 1.1.3, some of which I don't think are in the leaked version of 1.1.3. I am guessing that since it has been leaked, one or two more bonus features will be added.

19. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Not really. I'm assuming you actually mean My Location not Locate Me (that's something else by someone else). If you read their statement regarding its accuracy they say

That's almost 3300 feet. Being 2/3 of a mile, on average, away in any direction from where you're supposed to be isn't overly helpful.

20. lordgaino macrumors member

"That's almost 3300 feet. Being 2/3 of a mile, on average, away in any direction from where you're supposed to be isn't overly helpful. "

Actually i think its quite useful, since it will give you a small enough area of map to find where you are without having to type in the road name.

21. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

I agree... I think "my location" will be not much more useful than for just showing your friends.

22. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I disagree with you. If the map plots you to within a 3300 foot circle and you use the pinch method to enlarge you will be able to see street names within that circumfrence. At this point you can look out your vehicle window at the street sign or look up at the cross walk, find where you are and look back at your map.

If you are looking for an address, the same goes, all you need is a street address and you can pretty much pick it up from the expanded Google screen.

Sure, its not GPS and does not give you verbal turn by turn directions but anyone with common sense and the need to know where something is can deffinetly get an advantage out of this app and make it useful and with a little intelligence find out where they are.

23. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

OK... I can see that. I didnt think about in that way

it can give you a round about location to look for some familiar road names

24. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

This will help me. I travel the California coast quite a bit. Often stopping for food in unfamiliar places.

Currently, I have to type in a location so that I can use the map app to find, say Baja Fresh.

Last week I had to type in Santa Barbara ca and then hit search. Then type Baja fresh and search again.

After 1.1.3, I'll be able to hit the Locate Me button and then search Baja Fresh. Not a huge time saver but very convenient.

25. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Unless it's the passenger doing that it's entirely impractical for someone driving to manage all of that. That's where GPS receivers are useful. A driver interacts directly with the information displayed. You're asking for a situation far worse than a driver talking on a cell phone. You're asking for a driver to concentrate on small print on a screen, 'pinch' to enlarge the map (last I checked that requires two hands) and then determine a route on the fly. About this time the car will have driven through the front of a Starbucks.

The only practical way for your method to work is to pull over, determine your location and then orient yourself against the displayed map and then reorient the map to your location. There's nothing you said that couldn't be done more efficiently with a paper map. You don't have to 'pinch' a paper map to zoom into a location.

What exactly would you do with Google Map's automatic routing system if it doesn't actually know where you are? You're sitting at the corner of Main and Chestnut but the map seems to think you're on a highway 2/3 of a mile away. All of its directions would be completely incorrect for your vantage point. You're right back to being better off with a real map. There's no flicking, scrolling, zooming or pinching.

If if this was a passenger doing it then that pretty much alleviates the true usefulness of the product. You could have just handed the person a map. After all, if you're moving and the passenger is pinching, zooming, scrolling and flicking then the EDGE connection is going to have to be able to keep up with the map display changes. Have you actually tried scrolling arround Maps and watching the refresh? It takes a while. Not particularly useful unless the application is predicting where the vehicle is going to be next and that won't work since the applet thinks you're somewhere else than you actually are.