1.1.3 Screwed up my internet

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Yamato99, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Yamato99 macrumors newbie

I was able to connect to Safari and YouTube on my iPod Touch just fine before the update, but after I bought the new apps, all they say is "can't connect to server" or "can't connect to YouTube", even when my WiFi signal is maxed out! Is there any way to fix this? I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere else. Also, if I try to restore my Ipod and re-install 1.1.3, will I loose the apps I payed for?

2. Yamato99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried restoring my iPod. Fortunately, since I chose to back-up my iPod, the apps I paid for remained intacted. Unfortunately, this did nothing to fix my internet server problem. Anyone have ANY ideas? Thx.

3. ndheah macrumors regular

Lets start with the WiFi, as I really dout that 1.1.13 would break JUST YOUR internet.

What has changed with your WiFi, are you the admin of the WiFi, or is someone else? Can other devices connect wirelessly to the WiFi? If so, what devices? Did it stop working 1 second after you upgraded, or did it work for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, an hour or a day?

4. Yamato99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I connect to my parent's WiFi signal, and they haven't changed anything (They usually use the WiFi for their laptop). The laptop can still access the internet just fine. As for when my iPod's internet stopped working, I can't be sure of the exact time. I bought the upgrade the night it was announced, but didn't try it out right after I installed it. It was late so I went to bed and tried it in the morning. It was then that I noticed it wasn't working. So all I know is that it worked before I downloaded it, but not after.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i have only used my Opod since todaya nd as soon as i got it i got the update, I am having problems with it though, it keeps disconecting and asking me wich network i wnat to join like every 5 minutes or so it's very annoying, is this happening to anyone?

6. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

@Yamato99: Try changing your DNS in the wifi settings (by hitting the blue arrow next to the network name). You could either clear the DNS field or add another DNS, like Open DNS (208.67.220.220 or 208.67.222.222).

@juanster: Sounds like a signal that's on the brink of being too weak to use. What I would do is find a position that works for me (where you can get the signal) and not moving. That way the antenna should keep the signal. Frustrating, I know.:rolleyes:

[BTW: not using 1.1.3, just going based off experience with 1.1.2]

7. Yamato99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advise. I tried changing and deleting the DNS number, but all it seemed to do was make my iPod take longer before telling me it didn't work. It seemed like it might work for a minute, since it didn't say "loading" before it said "cannot connect to server" before I changed it, but still no go. Since I have no idea what the DNS number is, I dodn't really know any others to try, or if it will even help. Thx anyway.

8. jammyf macrumors member

This really sounds like a weak signal to me. I had similar issues on 1.1.2. Connection kept coming and going. I decided to upgrade my wireless router to 802.11n, not so much for the speed, but the coverage. Since then it has never dropped out.

9. Yamato99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Signal strength is deffinately not the issue. The bars are full, and it worked perfectly before I upgraded.

10. idlecat macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem. I bought mine a week ago and initially although it wouldn't pick up the signal from my own wifi it could see several other local ones easily and immediately connected to the internet.. Won't join any now:confused::confused:
    I'm not sure what the problem is with my own, I have Virgin cable running 2 laptops from the wifi and a pc on ethernet. The signal is showing as 100%
    The ipod signal is strong. There is nothing filled in on the page where the DNS number space is. I didn't know I had to fut details in here, I though everything was automatic. In which case where do I find the no's from?
    Sorry I am a complete numpty about this. :eek:I haven't been asked for a password or anything. Help would be appreciated.

:apple:

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If my memory serves me when I first tried to connect to my wireless network I had to enter the encription code into the settings of the ipod touch as my router is ssid encripted along with the normal 28bit encription too.

Until this was done mine would simply not connect.

Normally the encription key is found under the router itself.

I use a bt2110 wireless router.

Good luck.

12. dajoos macrumors newbie

Well I'd prefer posting once I 'figured it out', but since I haven't yet... I just wanted to pass along that I too am having the same issues and am not particularly happy. Prior to the new app upgrade I could surf the web easily at home (hadn't tried it elsewhere) - once 'upgraded' the Safari app now cannot connect to the server, and each of the new apps fail as well (Error retrieving chart in Stocks, Update Failed in Weather, etc). I just brought the iTouch into work to see if I could connect to a different server and get it to work, and there aren't any available - next up Starbucks. In any case I'll be working on it and I'd appreciate any updates if this is figured out.

Thanks

13. dajoos macrumors newbie

Partially Working

Wanted to provide an update in case anyone else is still having this same problem. I went to a nearby hotel lobby that had free unencrypted wi-fi (skipped the Starbucks) and found that all worked well using this service - internet, stock quotes, weather, etc. Went home, reconnected to my no-broadcast-ssid, encrypted wi-fi and it once again failed. I tried removing and re-adding the connection, renewing the lease, turning off/on, etc and still no go. I should add that perhaps once in 20 tries a stock quote or weather updates - I get out of the app, get back in, and once again no access to server.

My wi-fi signal is strong - I use a wireless laptop throughout the house - and at one point I stood right next to the wi-fi router (Linksys WRT55AG, I believe) to ensure a strong signal, and still could not connect.

Tonight I'll try temporarily broadcasting the SSID and turning off the encryption, and see what happens. If others with the same problem have fixed it I'd love to hear from them!

Dave

14. billraff macrumors newbie

I also had flakey internet on my Touch after the upgrade and install of the new apps. I did a restore a day or so later and did not back up first and everything's been working fine since.

15. Yamato99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I restored too. Tried backing up and not backing up, but neither one got my internet to work.

16. Yamato99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got off a 2 hour call to tech support. Turns out my router was set to WEP 64-bit, and had to change it to WEP 128-bit. Apparently 1.1.3 drops survice for 64-bit. After I changed it, the WiFi signal became super weak, but my iPod regained some of it's internet capabilities. Weather still won't let me add a new city, stocks won't let me add stocks to track, YouTube still won't work, and websites don't load properly (images and buttons don't seem to load). But hey, it's still a step up. My dad thinks it our router might be too old, so maybe that's the problem. Anyway, try it for yourself, see if it fixes your issues.

17. rausda27 macrumors newbie

I had the same exact problem you are having. I ended up purchasing a new Netgear G MIMO wireless router. It fixed all the problems i was having with my iPod touch and now all the applications work perfectly, including the new ones from the January update.

Buy a new router, if it doesn't fix the problem you can always return it for a refund.

18. idlecat macrumors newbie

My problem is solved I'm glad to say. Whizz kid SIL came round and fixed it in half a minute. The router had to be told the address of the ipod. He added the number and away it went and hasn't dropped it since. I am ready to download the new stuff now so with a bit of luck it will still be fine.
    Good luck everyone else.

19. dajoos macrumors newbie

idlecat - Congrats on getting it fixed - and thanks very much for following up with a post of what got yours going (wish everyone remembered to do that!). I must admit I'm at work now and have access to neither the iPod nor router, but regardless I'm thinking I may benefit from a bit more detail. Are you talking about a MAC address, an IP address or something else? And do you know where SIL 'added' the number?

As I said it may be very apparent to me once I get home, but I'm thinking I could benefit from a couple more details! Thanks.

20. idlecat macrumors newbie

I'm away from home now but will post again with more detail. He left the log in page open on the pc so I will have a look at it.( not a techi myself:rolleyes:)

21. idlecat macrumors newbie

The information has been taken from the router set up utility page (mine's a Belkin)
    The router IP address is shown under LAN settings on the status page.
    Go to the DHCP client list and add the ipod IP address ( I think you just put the end number in which can be any spare one between 2 and 100)
    Then the mac address of the IPOD is put into that list.
    I think some of these settings show up automatically , the subnet Mask is on the Lan setting page of the router.

22. dajoos macrumors newbie

idlecat - Thanks very much for following up with your post - I'll be looking/scratching my head/hopefully fixing this issue tonight!

23. bmccaffe macrumors newbie

Wifi problems

I have also been having problems with the wifi. It worked 2 days ago. But not now. It just says "Safari can't find server'. The only things I can think that might have effected it are that I was playing some of the games - Peggy and Tetris (which I just found in the apps), and I had hooked up to sync.

I was wondering if it might be a glitch in the software.
    Any ideas?
    Bonnie

24. bknykev macrumors newbie

I am at school and I cannot connect to my school's wireless network. The problem started after i upgraded to 1.1.3. At first it only works sometimes and after I got the january software upgrade, the wi-fi stopped working completely. I tried restoring twice and no good. Any help appreciated!

25. bmccaffe macrumors newbie

wifi

I just wanted to send an update on how I got my ipod touch to work again. After doing all kinds of things I read on the internet including:
    ..Changing to 128 bit (then changed back to 64 bit)
    ..Restoring the ipod
    ..Clicking "forget this Network" - turning off router and modem. Turning on modem (wait). Turning on Router (wait til done booting). Turning on ipod. - while this did not solve the problem it did help with is getting a good MAC address (not one with the 169.254.....)
    ..What finally DID work was deleting the first DNS number on the ipod touch.
    Bonnie