1.1.3 to 1.1.4 JAILBREAK?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by coreanomac, Feb 26, 2008.

1. coreanomac macrumors member

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Give it time, give it time :rolleyes:

3. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

4. theman macrumors 6502a

i think the only reason for the update was for SDK app releases. if you jailbreak, there isn't a reason for SDK apps, so there's no reason to JB 1.1.4. maybe 1.1.5 when they add features/fixes.

5. PlayWithTV macrumors regular

Except for the fact that the SDK apps may not be free.

6. theman macrumors 6502a

exactly what i meant. if you have already jailbroken, there's no reason to upgrade to 1.1.4 for SDK because you will it only adds SDK, which will be apps you have to pay for.

7. jasonmac21 macrumors member

What do you mean MAY not be free? Of course they won't be free. This isn't some new market that Apple is creating, Smartphones and Smartphone programs have been around for ages. It's the same as any other software. You can download a demo for free, then pay a certain amount to buy the full version (usually set by the programmers). Some programs are free, but they usually suck. Of course, hackers will "crack" the program and you'll be able to download them, illegally, for free (although I bet everything will be through itunes so that might not happen).

8. PlayWithTV macrumors regular

With a jailbroken iPod, we could pretty much get any app we like. The same way I've got the $20 January Update without paying.

For those who say I'm cheap and anyone who has done this also is cheap: We've already paid $400 plus accessories for this iPod, we're not about to pay $20 for something that should have been on there already.

9. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

To play the devil's advocate here, I think that Apple will leave it up to the developer to have a free app or charge in the same way they do Podcasts. This helps both Apple and the developers create brand-awareness by offering free software for the iPod/iPhone.

Apple is already having trouble with competing in the smartphone category. Yes, the iPhone is doing well and is a smartphone, but many people who have had smartphones before owning the iPhone also need a real-deal, business oriented smartphone (á la BlackBerry) to suit their needs. I think Apple can easily surmount this obstacle and many more with one simple (or not so simple) package: the SDK. Apple provides the SDK, the developers provide all of the man-hours and troubleshooting to create a program, and you end up with an app that can solve a problem that so many people might have.

Case in point: lack of exchange support. A company could write a plug-in type program that would enable exchange support, and distribute that one for free. They could also sell a fully configurable version through iTunes that would pay the bills. The plug-in version would get the company recognition and put them in the minds of people who are shopping for apps, making consumers more likely to think of their products in the future. Apple would also benefit from this because the frequent and justified whine of so many people about lack of exchange support would vanish, and they'd have a true BlackBerry competitor.

This business model (minus iTunes as a distribution center) is similar to the way companies such as Techspansion work with programs like VisualHub (greatness for a price) and iSquint (goodness for free).

I think Apple can see how well this business model works on the Mac platform, and I think they have much more to gain market-wise with this strategy than they can money-wise from simply selling the apps.

(Flame away.):cool:

10. ExcelonGT macrumors regular

Well said. I think you hit it right on the head.

11. PlayWithTV macrumors regular

I hope you're right, but I'm willing to believe they're going to use the same method as their iPod Games (and note: a lot of the games the sell you can play free online). Better to get my hopes down and be thrilled later if they don't charge for everything.