1.1.4 on 3G iPhone? Battery experiment

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Jul 16, 2008.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Ok, before you flame me hear me out...

I have found that my 3G iPhone gets significatly worse battery life than my V1 iPhone. Since day one I have had 3G, GPS and push all turned off. According to Apple (I called them) my 3G should be getting BETTER battery life than my V1 as I've essentially duplicated the settings of a V1. It does not. Not even close. I suspect that it is a 2.0 issue. This notion seems to be the consensus here on Mac Rumors.

So, after considering this I thought the best way to confirm that it is a firmware issue rather than a hardware issue was to downgrade to 1.1.4 on the 3G. Is this possible to do safely? If so, I would be willing to do it and report back in a few days. This would also go a long way in reassuring me that Apple will fix this issue shortly and 2.0.1 will get better battery life.

Again, just an experiment.

Any thoughts?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

You think it will brick the phone for sure? Obviously, if this is the case then I don't even want to attempt. Do you have a reason why you think it will definetely brick the phone?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The software files for 3G and GPS are not included in 1.1.4 or lower. You'll run into... running issues.